Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keep TDs or GMMG????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep TDs or GMMG????????

heres the deal. I have true duals(see sig) and they sound alright, but the problem is when i floor it, the pipes bang on the axle, or when I go over bump they bang too. Also, there is a harsh vibration at 1800-2000 rpm in all gears. This is my second TD system and its still not right I really like the way gmmg sounds and was wondering what some of you would do. I there that much performance to be had with TDs? I have an x and have no cats. Im getting sick of spending money on bullshit exhausts All help is greatly appreciated
Old 07-27-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I would put the cat's back on and get GMMG. You will never go back.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Chambered true-duals. If not, then get GMMG, it sounds fockin awesome with LT's/Cats
Old 07-27-2004, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

I've had TD with X pipe and Moroso spiral flows dumped and now I have GMMG and I wouldn't think twice about going back to duals. This is my 5th exhaust and this is the best one yet! I may end up putting cats on it to quiet it down some but I love the sound of it now. I say GMMG
Old 07-27-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

I just put the gmmg on my car (i have a vid if you wanna here it) and my exhaust is stock all the way back to it and it sounds awesome to me with no rattling noise or anything. Just a little info the guy at gmmg told me that the x-pipe was a waste of money even though on the drivers side it is flat.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

why not just dump your td's before the axle, they won't bang when you floor it??

i'm all about tsp's setup. thats whats going to find its way onto my baby when i get lt's here soon.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes if you are having that much of a problem with the over axle you could dump them. IMO you are better of doing that as it would net you a little more power and be cheaper/easier while still sounding really nice.

That being said, the GMMG is one hell of a nice cat-back, I am just anti Y-pipe
Old 07-28-2004, 03:29 AM
11 Second Club

I just finished installing the TSP true-dual system...and couldn't be happier. I mean it's a complete setup that is relatively smooth when cruising...but a monster when the rpm's climb. It rumbles like a muscle car should, and plus you don't have to worry about rasp or anything. I have a pretty stock setup...and it rumbles. With heads and cam this system will shake the ground. Just my 2 cents on the x-pipe setup.

Gabe
Old 07-28-2004, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 3" over the axle TD setup with 2 10 series Flow's. The pipes do hit the axle if I catch a bump the right way. Not really a big deal. No bad noise or anything... just not the same suspension travel I had before. I can live with it. BTW, my car is lowered too so thats why not much room over the axle. I ditched the upper panhard brace in order to run this setup.

I have zero issues with banging during hard acceleration. No vibrations either. These mufflers are LOUD inside the car though. I wasnt expecting any different so I'm not disappointed with that.

Sounds like whoever you had build the exhaust didnt get it right. You should not bang at all with a 2.5 inch system. You should get under there and try to see if it's touching anywhere. Look for marks on the pipe near the axle. That'll tell you which way in needs to go in order not to hit anything. Shouldnt be that hard to set up. My guy's done quite a few 2.5 systems over the axle and Im the first 3" over the axle he's done. He did an excellent job on mine. You got to find the right person to get it "right".

I'm happy with mine and won't be going back to a Y-pipe setup. Although if I ever had to put one back on, I would definitely go with a GMMG. They do sound nice.

good luck
Old 07-28-2004, 02:23 PM
Teching In

thank you all very much. I had a couple more questions. Is gmmg THAT bad w/ out cats? I cant stand them and would rather not put them on. Also, does the gmmg have a good "gurrgly" sound? Y-pipe exhausts usualy have a more whistly sound IMO. One more thing. I keep hearing I will have more power under the curve with an x pipe. Is this a noticable difference(10 or more HP and or TQ)?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not have/know of hard numbers for under the curve power of an X-pipe but it is a very nice bonus. A y-pipe WITH cats will help cut down rasp and when paired with the correct cat-back (such as the GMMG) it will help it be nice and deep and burbly rather than whistly.(sp?) I have not heard the GMMG without cats in person but it's not something you want to do from what people say. WIth a Y-pipe you kind of need cats to really kill the rasp associated with the less than ideal Y-pipe design. As always, TRUE DUALS ROCK! A good pair of cats won't hold you up very much. When I was considering getting a Y-pipe with cats to go with my loudmouth (before i ditched it for duals) i was going to get Random Tech cats.