Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to clean EXTREMELY dirty K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how to clean EXTREMELY dirty K&N filter

because of my hood and intake setup, my air filter gets EXTREMELY dirty. its to the point now that even after cleaning it it still looks dirty

i am wondering if it is costing me power and i dont feel like dropping another 60-70 bucks on an air filter.

is there anyway to "deep clean" a k&n filter
Old 08-27-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you recharge it or just clean it.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

i had this same issue on my eclipse, I literally used almost an entire can of the k&N cleaner and I finally got it back to the offwhite color that it looks like before you add oil. I also used a wire brush and and air gun on it to remove the loose stuff.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the most dirty one's can be cleaned..
Worst case.. grab a Fram Air Hog from wallyworld. There ~$35-$40.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a brand new K&N filter minus the lid gasket, it can be had for $25 shipped in the U.S. only.

Al
Old 08-27-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard throwing them in the dishwasher top rack dirty side down with dishwashing detergent cleans them pretty good.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

diswasher sounds like a good idea. i think im gonna try soaking it for a few hours in hot soapy water. if that dont work than dishwasher here i come

(i need a different sized filter than stock, suncoast airbox using a C4 vette filter, fugger is huge, thats why it cost so much)
Old 08-27-2004, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

I used to soak mine in a bucket with laundry soap, and then use the K&N cleaner afterwards. Now I just use a paper filter.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike K.
i had this same issue on my eclipse, I literally used almost an entire can of the k&N cleaner and I finally got it back to the offwhite color that it looks like before you add oil. I also used a wire brush and and air gun on it to remove the loose stuff.
Seems to me that this would punch all sorts of holes in your filter. I know that compressed air is a no no, but the wire brush seems like it would be much worse.
To get the loose stuff out of mine. (I live on a dirt road, and have the SLP airdam ram air thingy....) Just put it dirty side down on the driveway, and give 'er some love taps. It's amazing how much dirt falls out of the thing. Get as much loose stuff as you can, then run your garden hose over it, clean side to dirty side. Don't pressure wash it, just rinse through good. By then the K&N filter cleaning kit should work just fine for you.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Seems to me that this would punch all sorts of holes in your filter. I know that compressed air is a no no, but the wire brush seems like it would be much worse.
To get the loose stuff out of mine. (I live on a dirt road, and have the SLP airdam ram air thingy....) Just put it dirty side down on the driveway, and give 'er some love taps. It's amazing how much dirt falls out of the thing. Get as much loose stuff as you can, then run your garden hose over it, clean side to dirty side. Don't pressure wash it, just rinse through good. By then the K&N filter cleaning kit should work just fine for you.
this does nothing to mine
Old 08-27-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

im sure its fine, i think it just gets discolored cuz ive cleaned mine before a billion times and it was still a blackish color. also i heard a dirty k&n is better than a clean paper filter.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hourang
im sure its fine, i think it just gets discolored cuz ive cleaned mine before a billion times and it was still a blackish color. also i heard a dirty k&n is better than a clean paper filter.

If you say so...

What do you think the "color" is? (hint: dirt, etc.)

I'd never use a dirty K&N, but that's just my .02
Old 08-28-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

I never let the discoloration bother me. I just wacked the filter on the ground a few times everytime I washed my car to remove the larger debris, then washed and re-oiled it every 20,000 miles or so. You won't suffer performance loss or filtering capabilities with a discolored filter. I put 150,000 miles on it. With my new setup, I got a Holley Powershot.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

1,000,000 mile waranty...
Old 08-29-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say toss it and get a Fram
Old 08-29-2004, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
I never let the discoloration bother me. I just wacked the filter on the ground a few times everytime I washed my car to remove the larger debris, then washed and re-oiled it every 20,000 miles or so. You won't suffer performance loss or filtering capabilities with a discolored filter.
Exactly.
It doesn't have to be bright white/brand new again in order to use it, the oil will change the color immediately anyway.
Do not use a wire brush.
Do not use a high pressure power washer or compressed air.
I love K&N air filters.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
diswasher sounds like a good idea. i think im gonna try soaking it for a few hours in hot soapy water. if that dont work than dishwasher here i come

(i need a different sized filter than stock, suncoast airbox using a C4 vette filter, fugger is huge, thats why it cost so much)

lemme know what the dishwasher does ryan, i just discovered mine was pretty dirty yesterday and cant find my re-charge stuff. mines a conical one though
Old 08-30-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nddragon01
If you say so...

What do you think the "color" is? (hint: dirt, etc.)

I'd never use a dirty K&N, but that's just my .02
ive been using k&n air filters on every car ive owned, alot of crappy cars that the filter would get black in color, as long as i kept them clean they would perform greatly, ive tried switching to regular filters on many cars cuz of how black the filter would get and it would not gain nothing and would be slower if anything.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think it has to do with the oil, the filters use oil to trap dirt, and the dirt turns the oil black.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Launching!

look for a cleaner called SC-200 its a solvent-based degreaser and its supposed to be mixed 50:1, but when i spray my filter i mix it 5:1 and it turns the filter show white after i let it sit and then spray it with the hose really good. i used to "think " my filter was clean..but this stuff is untouchable. oh and also, if you put the blow off attachment on your compressor, and take your time to blow it out good, the whole process takes like 30 mins total and you can just put it right back in the car

Quick Reply: how to clean EXTREMELY dirty K&N filter