Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bronke Flange bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Broken Flange bolt

I broke the left bolt on my EGR header flange when I did my cam install. I didnt want to have to take the header out to drill and tap it so i tried a few things whithout success.

1. tried to put a notch in it for a flathead screwdriver and let it soak in CRC for 48 hrs but it still wouldnt budge.

2. cant get visegrips or anything else on it because there not enough meat left sticking up.

2. I took a Harmonic balancer bolt and cut it to less than 1 inch and put a big washer on it and JB Welded it in there (I know thats ghetto but if it would have worked I dont care because these SLP LT's are junk anyway)

The JB weld gave way after the header had expanded and contracted a few times so now I am stuck with a huge exhaust leak.

what do I do? I dont have the time to remove that header to drill it out and I dont think a drill (right angle or other) will fit down in that tight space. I barley fit the dremel in there.

Im thinking that I can get a large drain plug and thread it in there possibly but that will be trial and error trying to match up a bolt for that.

Help is appreciated.

heres a pic....

Last edited by shaneSS; 09-26-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks like I was able to get the dremel in there with an drill bit. Only issue was that dremel doesnt have enough torque to drill through that bolt.

I guess I need to search for a small pneumatic drill..............

does anyone konw the thread pitch of that hole. M8 x ?pitch?
Old 09-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Launching!

I think it is M8x1.25
Old 09-26-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shaneSS
looks like I was able to get the dremel in there with an drill bit. Only issue was that dremel doesnt have enough torque to drill through that bolt.

I guess I need to search for a small pneumatic drill..............

does anyone konw the thread pitch of that hole. M8 x ?pitch?
It should be no problem with a dremel. Don't push so darn hard! Good luck.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

My chuck on the Dremel wont hold a bit large enough to tap out an M8. I think i need to drill at least a 9/32 or 5/16 hole. The TAP drill chart say 7.93 mm hole.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shaneSS
I broke the left bolt on my EGR header flange when I did my cam install. I didnt want to have to take the header out to drill and tap it so i tried a few things whithout success.

1. tried to put a notch in it for a flathead screwdriver and let it soak in CRC for 48 hrs but it still wouldnt budge.

2. cant get visegrips or anything else on it because there not enough meat left sticking up.

2. I took a Harmonic balancer bolt and cut it to less than 1 inch and put a big washer on it and JB Welded it in there (I know thats ghetto but if it would have worked I dont care because these SLP LT's are junk anyway)

The JB weld gave way after the header had expanded and contracted a few times so now I am stuck with a huge exhaust leak.

what do I do? I dont have the time to remove that header to drill it out and I dont think a drill (right angle or other) will fit down in that tight space. I barley fit the dremel in there.

Im thinking that I can get a large drain plug and thread it in there possibly but that will be trial and error trying to match up a bolt for that.

Help is appreciated.

heres a pic....

Hmm. Same thing happened to me about a year ago...I also did everything I could to avoid taking it out and tap it. But I had to.. And yes be VERY careful of the angle. I messed up on mine and so had make a even bigger hole, so now one hole is bigger that the other .. LOL.. but anyways that is what you will probably have to do. Just be patient when doing it.. Good luck..
Old 09-27-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK OK OK OK............... NOW what.

I got a straight pneumatic drill and it fit in that tight spot but guess what. that bolt is made of kryptonite!!!!!!!!!! It wont drill out. Totally dulled out 3 bits of mine. I tried a small pilot hole and everything, plus I went and bought a BOSH titanium bit and every special metal bit I could find but NADA!

Im screwed.

F' it !!!! Im going to go tomorrow and get a large bolt M16 or a drain plug for a freaking toyota and thread that pipe fitting. I think that pipe is like 5/8 or 13/16 OD.

Havent been able to drive or tune my **** since the install over a week ago cause if this BS!

Last edited by shaneSS; 09-27-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

FYI:
Cobalt and Titanium bits suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went through 3 different HIGH dollar bits and they all just burned up. I finally ust tried a basic DeWalt steele bit and "Wala" it got it right out.

Now that I dont have a masive exhaust leak anymore Im off to tune with EDIT. WIsh me luck!