Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout Question/Stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutout Question/Stock exhaust

I was looking to get an electric cutout for the ls1. I might get LT's in the future, but for now the entire exhaust is stock. I was wondering if I would beable to just buy one cutout and put it right after the downpipe (in the beginning of the y pipe) before the Y pipe splits. This way, I would not have to buy 2 cutouts (after the y splits). Would that be a good idea or would that not really give me any gains? I've heard the best place is somewhere under the back seat, but the main thing is that I don't want to have to buy 2 cutouts. Any help? Thanks
Old 09-26-2004, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Question

When you say "downpipe" do you mean like after the cats up near the exhaust manifold?
I don't think that would fit and even if did it would only open up one side/one bank of the motor when open, that's no good.
There is no need to ever have two cut outs IMO unless you're going to get/keep some high flow cats on even after you get LTs.
Best bet is to add the cut out in the usual spot in the 'I' pipe under the passenger side rear seat area (I have that now with stock exhaust, looks and performs well) and when you get LTs it will still be there.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you are getting a little conflused with the "Y" pipe design. It comes off the headers like a "V" and then merges together into an "I". This is one place you can put the cutout, like LS1LT1 already said. I had mine all the way at the end of the "I" pipe right before it made its turn into the muffler. I left it open all the time and it was easily accessible. I had it that way stock and then with headers and ORY up until I built and installed my duals
Old 09-27-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Put it in the I pipe right before it bends up over the axle.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure they have the opening facing to the passenger side of the car, i've heard of shops putting them on the wrong way