Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!EGR & !AIR question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !EGR & !AIR question...

ok, ive searched for this and havent found a deffinate answer...
what are the pro's and con's of removing both of these? i will be getting headers asap and want to know the best route to go. are there any bad effects from removing them? if it doesnt hurt anything to remove them and may even be beneficial, why did GM put them on in the first place? (lol, i know stupid question)
TIA
Old 09-28-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you searched for these answers? Now you know jrp is going to come in here raising all kinds of hell if we give you the answers to these questions. I think maybe you should hit the search button again and give it one more try.

Hint: Do a search for posts by jrp and check out the link in his sig.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Are you sure you searched for these answers? Now you know jrp is going to come in here raising all kinds of hell if we give you the answers to these questions. I think maybe you should hit the search button again and give it one more try.

Hint: Do a search for posts by jrp and check out the link in his sig.
yes, im sure i searched...i found nothing that answered my specific question
but i should have guessed that i would get an answer like that, when the time it took to type that you most likely could have answered my original question
thanks none the less
Old 09-28-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Fine. I was really sort of joking earlier, but I can see now you really want to **** off jrp. Here goes nothing:

The pro's of removing them is the engine compartment looks better and the EGR isn't shoving unburned exhaust back into the intake system. Some people believe the gases that EGR adds back to the intake are good for the mixture though. Most non emission headers are a little cheaper and sexier. If you aren't putting cats back on, keeping the AIR is doing nothing for your car. If you are putting cats back on, adding headers moves the cat's farther back so the AIR system probably isn't being real effective anyway and most high performance cats don't need it.

The con's are you will be pissing off the tree huggers. Some inspection shops may physically look for these devices to be on your car and fail you if they don't find them even though you can pass a sniffer test. You will set off the check engine light unless you edit the computer. If you have a pre '01 car, you'll have to figure out a way to block the egr hole on the intake manifold or replace the intake. EGR was removed from '01 and newer LS1's because the cam design changed and didn't need it anymore.

I'm not a GM engineer, I don't know why they do anything.

Last edited by HavATampa; 09-28-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fine. I was really sort of joking earlier, but I can see now you really want to **** off jrp. Here goes nothing:

The pro's of removing them is the engine compartment looks better and the EGR isn't shoving unburned exhaust back into the intake system. Some people believe the gases that EGR adds back to the intake are good for the mixture though. Most non emission headers are a little cheaper and sexier. If you aren't putting cats back on, keeping the AIR is doing nothing for your car. If you are putting cats back on, adding headers moves the cat's farther back so the AIR system probably is being real effective anyway and most high performance cats don't need it.

The con's are you will be pissing off the tree huggers. Some inspection shops may physically look for these devices to be on your car and fail you if they don't find them even though you can pass a sniffer test. You will set off the check engine light unless you edit the computer. If you have a pre '01 car, you'll have to figure out a way to block the egr hole on the intake manifold or replace the intake. EGR was removed from '01 and newer LS1's because the cam design changed and didn't need it anymore.

I'm not a GM engineer, I don't know why they do anything.

thank you
much better answer..i appreciate it
i still cant decide wtf to do though
Old 09-28-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

You're welcome. I went through the same crap a few months ago and decided to get the LS6 intake and HP Tuners and ripped out the EGR. A month ago I ordered headers without emission connections and will be ripping out the AIR then. But I am adding aftermarket cats back to the system to keep the noise down and keep fuel fumes down some. If you get headers and a decent cam, more than likely you won't be passing emissions anyway with or without EGR and AIR installed without a really good tune. I think you'll find most people on this site aren't leaving the emission stuff intact unless they live someplace where they don't have a choice as far as inspections are concerned.
You live in Texas, there aren't any trees to kill in Texas, what are you worried about?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're welcome. I went through the same crap a few months ago and decided to get the LS6 intake and HP Tuners and ripped out the EGR. A month ago I ordered headers without emission connections and will be ripping out the AIR then. But I am adding aftermarket cats back to the system to keep the noise down and keep fuel fumes down some. If you get headers and a decent cam, more than likely you won't be passing emissions anyway with or without EGR and AIR installed without a really good tune. I think you'll find most people on this site aren't leaving the emission stuff intact unless they live someplace where they don't have a choice as far as inspections are concerned.
You live in Texas, there aren't any trees to kill in Texas, what are you worried about?
my main concern is longevity of my engine, i mean its only got 12k miles on it, and would obviously not want to do anything to cut down on the life of my motor..im not made of money by any means, so i need things to last and be reliable
Old 09-28-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

well my motor is at 63k....and i took off EGR and AIR more than a few thousand miles ago...no harm so far. people run race headers all the time. all EGR does is recirculate exhaust into your intake manifold....does that sound like a good idea to you? not me...... and the AIR system just shoots clean air into your cats to clean up your emissions to try and smooth over things with tree huggers.....for all of us who already have....or plan...!cats....whats the point? !EGR/!AIR and don't look back.....plus your engine bay looks so much cleaner!!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
well my motor is at 63k....and i took off EGR and AIR more than a few thousand miles ago...no harm so far. people run race headers all the time. all EGR does is recirculate exhaust into your intake manifold....does that sound like a good idea to you? not me...... and the AIR system just shoots clean air into your cats to clean up your emissions to try and smooth over things with tree huggers.....for all of us who already have....or plan...!cats....whats the point? !EGR/!AIR and don't look back.....plus your engine bay looks so much cleaner!!
yea, i agree....im pretty sure im gonna use a catted y, or duals if i went that route, just to cut down on rasp and having it smell funky, i dont think a good pair of high flow cats will rob much if any horsepower
what do you drive man? youre right down the road from me pretty much, im in lewisville...