Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust fume smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 05:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Exhaust fume smell

Whenever my car is not moving, the inside smells like exhaust. This, after installing headers, cam and off-road y-pipe. The exhaust is not leaking anywhere as far as I can tell, so I am assuming that not having cats is the reason for the smell. Would getting a y-pipe with cats eliminate the smell of exhaust? If cats are not the problem, what could it be? After driving for a while, it really makes me feel sick, so it can't be good.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get it tuned? It sounds like it just running rich and that's what you're smelling.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:41 AM
Launching!

Yes, it was tuned. It was a lot worse before it was tuned, it would actually puff blue smoke when idling. I am running the TR230/224 cam, if that matters.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Common problem with running !cats with a cam. The only way to fix it, or help at least, is to put cats back on there. There is no way to tell with your nose if it is running rich or lean. You have to have a wide band O2
Old 10-02-2004, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by SsZERO
Whenever my car is not moving, the inside smells like exhaust. This, after installing headers, cam and off-road y-pipe. The exhaust is not leaking anywhere as far as I can tell, so I am assuming that not having cats is the reason for the smell. Would getting a y-pipe with cats eliminate the smell of exhaust? If cats are not the problem, what could it be? After driving for a while, it really makes me feel sick, so it can't be good.
Put your cats back in! I'm not a big believer on O2 sims either. If you're using those to, chunk em'. Carbon monoxide poisoning is an accumulated process that you really don't know is happening to you. Then it hits.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
There is no way to tell with your nose if it is running rich or lean. You have to have a wide band O2
Well yes, except if it is running pig rich and spewing poorly combusted exhaust you will have have more fumes.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Launching!

I'm not running O2 sims, I had the rear O2s deleted and I am only running the front O2s. I was thinking of getting the random tech y-pipe, or something similar, as I am not too crazy about spending $800 for something like that. There was some other guy saying that this particular cam causes this strong exhaust fume smell...and if it is a choice between $800 for a decent cat y-pipe or $400 for a different cam, I think I'd rather go with the cam.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SsZERO
I'm not running O2 sims, I had the rear O2s deleted and I am only running the front O2s. I was thinking of getting the random tech y-pipe, or something similar, as I am not too crazy about spending $800 for something like that. There was some other guy saying that this particular cam causes this strong exhaust fume smell...and if it is a choice between $800 for a decent cat y-pipe or $400 for a different cam, I think I'd rather go with the cam.
Is your car still blowing smoke? If not, did your tune get rid of this problem?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Launching!

It does not blow smoke anymore, the tune seems to have fixed that. It does still make visible exhaust smoke on cold starts, but once the engine heats up there is no visible smoke while idling.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I second on the not having cats, that will make your car exhaust smell. Every smelled a car with a blow cat?
Old 10-03-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Well yes, except if it is running pig rich and spewing poorly combusted exhaust you will have have more fumes.

Exactly the opposite if your running lean, there is no way of telling