Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you 90mm users L@@K

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for you 90mm users L@@K

You guy's use the stock mass or the 85mm mass sensor...If you have a pic, please show the set up..

Thx...
Old 10-04-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

I was wondering when somebody would ask that. I never could understand why FAST made a 90mm throttle body when there was no MAF in existence that could feed it.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Another_User
I was wondering when somebody would ask that. I never could understand why FAST made a 90mm throttle body when there was no MAF in existence that could feed it.

Actually, Pro-M makes one for our cars that is 90mm, but it is over $400, so you don't hear much about it. There really pretty cool because they actually take into acount what you have done to your car so they are better suited for tuning.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Actually, Pro-M makes one for our cars that is 90mm, but it is over $400, so you don't hear much about it. There really pretty cool because they actually take into acount what you have done to your car so they are better suited for tuning.
THey actually give you a printout of the MAF transfer function as well. Very nice to have...
Old 10-05-2004, 06:39 AM

85mm was what most 90mm FAST guy's are using so looks like that's the ticket...I know that the 78mm mass would be the bottle neck for cfm.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

You could tune the MAF out of the equation and use a solid 4 inch tube in its place.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm putting that combo on. I have the SLP 85mm MAF. I would also look into TSP's 85mm lid but last time I checked they were out of stock.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 385
You could tune the MAF out of the equation and use a solid 4 inch tube in its place.

Who is or can do speed density tuning in the states? That would be awesome to just ditch the MAF.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NoseUpChromeDown
I second on that one. Wouldn't that be somewhat of a dissadvantage though? Isn't there good reason we use MAF sensors? More precise? (while not attempting to hyjack this thread...)
Speed Density is actually a better way to tune (arguably) than MAF tuning. The problem is, SD is more difficult and does not have the ability to adjust for minor mods like MAF's do. Response time should be a little faster as well.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 385

3.5 inch works fine for anybody running a TB smaller than 90mm. The one I use is .125" thick and has an 83ish mm ID. Oh...and if the tube is solid air doesn't flow through it. J/K.

Originally Posted by JF WS6
Who is or can do speed density tuning in the states? That would be awesome to just ditch the MAF.
I ditched my MAF. All too easy.

I second on that one. Wouldn't that be somewhat of a dissadvantage though? Isn't there good reason we use MAF sensors? More precise? (while not attempting to hyjack this thread...)
More power, better driveability, oh disadvantages...maybe less gas mileage with a heavy foot like I have. The MAF is not more precise. It does adjust faster to barometric changes and temperature changes from what I understand.

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon
Speed Density is actually a better way to tune (arguably) than MAF tuning. The problem is, SD is more difficult and does not have the ability to adjust for minor mods like MAF's do. Response time should be a little faster as well.
SD will adjust for mods through the fuel trims. I am not sweating it because mods just require touch-ups to the VE table to keep them from swinging too far.

Could we not just incorporate the electronics between two 4" pieces of pipe? Isn't there a way to adjust the sensetivity of the MAF for such an application? It'd be like using an 85mm MAF on a V-6 I guess. Doable? Could this cause improper metering? Perhaps screening would make something of that size more precise...?
The only thing I can say is...PITA.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL!

I meant solid as in "not rubber" so that it wont collapse under vac
Old 10-05-2004, 09:47 PM

85mm will hold over 600hp's N/A so it will be fine. What would you do on a 105mm TB?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADZ
85mm will hold over 600hp's N/A so it will be fine. What would you do on a 105mm TB?
True. Don't forget the giant oval throttle body and intake they have now too.

Hmmm...this will be post 1000 for me...I wonder if that thing under my username will change...
Old 10-05-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Well, you could always ditch the MAF altogether. That's what I ended up doing.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:13 PM

What did you have to do to make it work (rid of the maf) LOnSLO? Megga tuning or what?

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
Well, you could always ditch the MAF altogether. That's what I ended up doing.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

What did you have to do to make it work (rid of the maf) LOnSLO? Megga tuning or what?
Well, still in the process. It hauls *** at WOT, and idles good, but driving down the return road is like a rodeo. Part throttle sucks right now, but plan on fixing that by this weekend. I'd do it again.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:36 PM

I would not want the headache of have to re-tune it all the time w/o the maf, I think I will just run it for now and later figure out something else...
Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
FormerVendor

Another person who has succesfully gotten rid of their MAF

<--------------------------
Old 10-06-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

I would not want the headache of have to re-tune it all the time w/o the maf, I think I will just run it for now and later figure out something else...
There is no re-tune all the time. The trims update as normal. I finished my VE table, it runs perfect. I fixed my part throttle cruise bucking, now I need to eliminate closed throttle deceleration surging (minor), and bucking part throttle coming off the line slowly (like in traffic). The cruise bucking was all throttle cracker once I pulled that MAF out (+ .9 to the entire table). I suspect my bucking off the line to be the same.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Another_User
There is no re-tune all the time. The trims update as normal. I finished my VE table, it runs perfect. I fixed my part throttle cruise bucking, now I need to eliminate closed throttle deceleration surging (minor), and bucking part throttle coming off the line slowly (like in traffic). The cruise bucking was all throttle cracker once I pulled that MAF out (+ .9 to the entire table). I suspect my bucking off the line to be the same.
Aha...my IAC counts are too low after the car warms up. With the temperature change the more dense air must be too much. Back to the set screw! (Glad I didn't drill.) That should cure my surging problems at low rpms with no throttle (before throttle cracker can kick-in...I wondered why it was a suddenly appearing problem). Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but I thought it was interesting info to share!