Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Catback need cut out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooker Catback need cut out?

I will be running a 228R cam, PC LT, TSP ORY, connecting to stock cat back pipes with a Hooker muffler bolted in place of the stock one. Will the stock pipes be restrictive enough to consider buying a cut out even though I have a Hooker Aero Chamber muffler? Stock pipes measure 2 3/4 OD. 5-10RWHP gain possible?
If so, will the TSP ORY go back far enough to reach behind the passenger seat to put the cut out there?
Anybody have a manual cable type cutout? I do not want to spend the money for an electric. I will crawl under the car.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:18 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont think you need a cutout. the difference between the full hooker catback and and a cutout vs stock pipes w/ hooker muffler would be minimal.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

You'll be looking at 5-10rwhp and equal torque by getting a cutout. My Cutout gained me 4rwhp @ 5rwtq over my Corsa muffler which is a straight through design. The Hooker muffler is a chambered Aero chamber design so you might be looking at a little more.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Banned

We have found that the Hooker cat-back is one of the most efficient when it comes to power. Usually we see very little gains if any by using a cut-out over going through the muffler on that system. We have seen pretty good gains by using a cut-out on systems like the Corsa and some others, and tremendous gains with a cut-out bypassing a Flowmaster muffler. Of course, the gains also depend on the level of modifications on the car...

Angie

Angie