Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove EGR and AIR

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove EGR and AIR

First, is there any performance advantage to removing the EGR? I know there really isnt in removing the AIR system. Secondly, how do you remove both of them? I am thinking about it in order to get an LS6 intake on and to clean up the engine bay. Thanks
Old 10-07-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use the search button. i've answered this question a dozen times at length, in detail. if you can't find it after a good healthy thorough search, then come back and i'll post up the links. this forum has all the answers you need at your finger tips....

i'm not flaming you, or trying to be a dick. this is my more friendly effort to get people to search. after being around for a while, you'd be suprised how many times someone has asked this question, and how many times its been answered. i know you may not have known this, which is why i'm explaining it.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should help:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/136861-removing-air-egr-equipment.html
Old 10-07-2004, 09:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No performance gains unless their are problems with the functionality of the parts. There's a short write-up of the benifits of removing the parts on our site. If you do decide to remove the setup, you will get a code which will iluminate your MIL lamp if your running OBD2. It will not affect performance though, it is just your "dummy" light telling you that you have a problem with an emissions related component.

You can either program the code out, or clip the lamp feed wire at the computer which will shut the lamp off on your dash (takes a few minutes to do) You should be aware of your cars performance and have at least a scanner so you can occasionally scan for codes... If you deactivate the lamp feed wire and you have a performance related issue, it will set the car into limp home mode...you would know this immediatly if your aware of your car, as the fans will turn on at startup as a quick indicator of a performance related failure, at that point, just scan the car and fix the problem.

Retaining the MIL lamp is overstated in my opinion...hence the name "dummy" light. If there are "major" problems, i.e. maf, 02 sensor etc, the car will run in it's pre-programmed stated... essentially gas milage could be effected as well as performance. You shouldn't worry about blowing the engine up. I think the most useful gauges on our cars are temp, oil pressure, and tach...that's it. If you don't feel comfortable with shutting the lamp off, their are companies that can program the code out for you.

You can purchase egr block off plates off of our site. We always stock them and parts ship within 24hr M-F. Go to www.mycamaroz28.homestead.com for the blockoff plates.