Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice with exhaust that exits out before the rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice with exhaust that exits out before the rear wheel

i just reciently bought a 01 ss and it just has a stock exhaust on it. i have been picking and choosing which brands i like as well. but the other day i saw a mustang that had an exhaust that exited out right before the rear wheel. i hope you know what im talking about, and it just really struck my eye and i just haft to get a set of them. If anyone has information about them i would love to hear about it. also if you have any pics let me see them!! thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im sure you could do this, but i would imagine ground clearance would be an issue. quite a few guys on here have true dual set ups, which i think you would need for this, and a lot of them have clearance problems. there is one member on here, can't remember who, that has some exiting like you describe. hope you find what you are looking for
Old 10-11-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get a boom tube.
http://www.drgas.com/product.asp?id=18
http://www.ls1sounds.com/boom-tube_396LT1.wmv
http://www.ls1sounds.com/boom-tube_inside_396LT1.wmv
It is on the front of ls1sounds.com. You should try that exhaust system, not too many people have that.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

The exaust your talking about is called true duals. I have them on my car. Do a search, you will find ALOT of info on these. They are the best sounding exaust in my opinion.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search. One of the members just recently post clips of his car running sweet-thunder true duals with side exits.

Here's the link to his video.
Right click, save as:
http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...cam_WS6_02.mpg

His board name is Trans AM WS6 RGS if you'd like to ask him any questions.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Launching!

yeah i relized it would haft to be true duals, also im worried about clearance problems and such, is there anything i can do to aviod that? Also i checked out the "boom tubes" and there still not exactly what im looking for. I was hoping to see if a company sold them in complete kits. But thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming
Old 10-11-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssmaro
yeah i relized it would haft to be true duals, also im worried about clearance problems and such, is there anything i can do to aviod that? Also i checked out the "boom tubes" and there still not exactly what im looking for. I was hoping to see if a company sold them in complete kits. But thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming
No companies sale kits for our cars.

TSP sells a 3" true dual setup. But this isn't what you're looking for. I provided you with the board members info. PM him and ask him what all it took to complete his setup.

Pretty easy..
Old 10-11-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Ahhhh thats a stupid idea! It'll never work, you'll scrap every bump in the road, it'll sound and look like as$. Hmm cant remember what else people said when I first thought about doing my set-up like that. Oh yeah, its illegal, your exhaust has to exit out the rear!!

When I first made the exhaust I had no ground clearence problems. I was even able to use SFC with no interference. My friend and I made sure we tucked it up there pretty tight. Bad thing is I have SLP LTs so that causes my exhaust it to be lower to begin with. We solved that by tilting it upwards a bit and the RT cats were the lowest point of the exhaust.

Right now my exhaust is hanging a little lower than before. When I first got the cam it was causing the tips to bang the rocker panel so we lowered it. Now that my cam is a bit more tame it doesnt shake the tips as bad. In my video you can see they still shake, along with the rest of the car but they no longer bang against the car. Eventually we'll raise the exhaust back up but just havent gotten around to it.

Its been close to two years and Im still pretty happy with the exhaust. Actually its the longest exhaust (Out of four) Ive had on my car.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

It'll sound and look great. And they're not illegal.

I had them on my 3rd gen and the ground clearance was aweful. I had 3" duals and they hit everything in the road as well as the floor pan. Square/oval tubing will help, but i'll never do it again.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Trans Am WS6 RGS - Your car sounds BADA$$! I'm also kicking around the idea of side exhaust due partly by your vid. As my first mod, i wanted my exhaust to be done right the first time, so i ordered a set of Kooks 1 3/4 headers and they're sitting in my living room floor waiting on an x-pipe. My question to you, is how did you get from the mufflers to the tips? Oval pipe? Sorry to highjack the thread, but do you have any pics from under the car you can post? I'd really like to have a side exhaust on my vert !
Old 10-11-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

These are the only pics I have left of my exhaust. I lost the rest when my lap top crashed. I tried to take more pictures and sound clips thise pass weekend but something is wrong with my camcorder. As soon as I get it fixed I'll make an effort to take more.

Last edited by Trans Am WS6 RGS; 10-11-2004 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Side pipes are not that hard to build. Any exhaust shop should be able to do it. The hardest part is hanging the exhaust so it does not shake like in the vid. Ground clearance is an issue especially on speed bumps and driveways other than that they are rare and sound great.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry to hear about your laptop

Thanks for the H-pipe pic, this might be the way to go.
My concern is the ground clearance everyone speaks of. Would it be possible to "oval" the pipe after the turn behind the muffler? Would this help at all? I know i want to lower the car 1" , so i'm thinking about using 2 1/5 " pipe after the headers, but could i go back to 3" for the "oval" part? Thanks for your help and replys.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Ground clearance isn't bad at all if you go with 2.5" tubing.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would imagine that you would lose a lot of flow if you were to "oval" the pipe. if you mean to kind of flatten it like on the stock exhaust i dont see the point in doing true duals, as it would be pretty restrictive. just stick with the 2.5'' all the way out
Old 10-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1_doc
Side pipes are not that hard to build. Any exhaust shop should be able to do it. The hardest part is hanging the exhaust so it does not shake like in the vid. Ground clearance is an issue especially on speed bumps and driveways other than that they are rare and sound great.
Yeah I'm thinking I will just take it to a shop and describe what all i want done. I was hoping to at least be able to use a 3 inch pipe for the rest of it but everyone keeps complaining about ground clearance. Also does anyone know what parts to use for this project after the headers? True-duals, X pipe, H pipe??? Then what after that?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Also if you guys look at http://www.roushperf.com/ you will see that they sell them in complete kits. Or thats what it looks like anyway, maybe im mistaken. I was just hoping to see if another company sold them for camaros. Thanks for any responses.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

God of Thunder- Yeah, that's what i was thinkin', but if it's gonna be THAT restrictive, i'll just stick with the 2.5 pipe.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Oval pipe is exactly that, oval. That flattened POS y-pipe GM put on our cars is not the same thing.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

I don't have SFC's yet, so maybe an "oval" pipe AFTER the muffler won't be so bad. Don't ask me why, i just don't like the idea of dumps at the axle. If i had a WS6, i would spring the extra bucks for an over the axle exhaust, but i don't. BLASTER has a kick a$$ exhaust, so maybe it's all personal preferance.