Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet hot long tube and Y pipe install. Banging Floor Boards

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jet hot long tube and Y pipe install. Banging Floor Boards

I installed my long tubes Friday and have been fighting this all weekend. First it the y pipe was hitting the floor on the subframe. I took the Y pipe all back apart and re-adjusted it to get more clearance. Then the header was up against the k member on the drivers side so I had to use a hacksaw and cut around it and grind it down with a carbide bit. Now under harder the normal acceleration it is banging and vibrating against the floor somewhere. I've had it on the lift again and cannot find the exact problem area. Any suggestions? Anybody else install Jethots and have similiar problems? Polly Tranny mount?
Old 10-11-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

check the torque arm, and if u don't have poly mounts make sure u have alot of clearance 1.5-2 inchs between stuff or your gunna get banging
Old 10-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fast98
check the torque arm, and if u don't have poly mounts make sure u have alot of clearance 1.5-2 inchs between stuff or your gunna get banging
On the lift with the rear axle hanging I could get the exhaust to barely hit the torque arm. But with the car on the ground the arm should be much higher up and way out of the way.

I don't have polly mounts and I only have about a finger space between the pipe and subframe.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more than likely hitting the little hump right below the drivers seat. We placed two layers or heater hose between the y-pipe and the floorboard to stop the banging on my car.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have someone weld a valve spring between the y-pipe and drivers side floorboard. Problem solved.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
It's more than likely hitting the little hump right below the drivers seat. We placed two layers or heater hose between the y-pipe and the floorboard to stop the banging on my car.
definetly my thoughts, where it looks close under the drivers seat, put in the cut hose and no more bang