Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished LS6 install...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished LS6 install...

So that LS6 intake has been staring at me for about 3 weeks now....it looked lonely........so.........time to install it.

My friend and I started around 6pm and finished up around 10. It was the first time I've had the intake off so it took a lot longer than I thought. Those damn AIR tubes and EGR in the way.

So....while I was at it.....out came the EGR and AIR systems. The engine bay looks much nicer without them. There is also a bit more room in there as well. My FRC's fit really nicely now. That AIR pump is a bit of a pain to get out though.....7 frickin bolts.

It also took us a bit longer as we had to cut and shape our own block off plates for the EGR and AIR bungs. We used some 3/8 aluminum from a clipboard and RTV'd them in. Worked like a charm.

I also used some 5/16 rubber hose and some clamps to bypass the coolant tubing. I cut all four connectors off from the coolant rail. I left each length around 3 inches. I then connected the fronts together with the hose and then did the same for the rears. It's not pretty...but it sure was cheap ($4.00).

I'd have to guess that the EGR and AIR systems shaved off somewhere between 15-20 lbs. Not that it's much weight....but everything helps.

Now I've got to get HPTuner to get rid of that damn SES light.

I'm planning to head to track Wednesday to see if there is any difference. My friend that helped is bringing his 02 Z06 that he just bought out for the first time. I think we'll be pretty close as he is still learning the shifts.

Anyways....sorry for the long post....I'm only half awake now.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:16 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert
I also used some 5/16 rubber hose and some clamps to bypass the coolant tubing. I cut all four connectors off from the coolant rail. I left each length around 3 inches. I then connected the fronts together with the hose and then did the same for the rears.
Actually I think you could've left the part of the front one connected and then just cut and plugged up the third piece that normally runs to the back but your way works too obviously.

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert
I'd have to guess that the EGR and AIR systems shaved off somewhere between 15-20 lbs. Not that it's much weight....but everything helps.
15-20 but hey it's right off the nose, it helps more than you think.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:36 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Then you do the sway bar, the bumper support, a fiberglass hood, lightweight brakes, headers (much lighter), etc etc etc
Old 10-12-2004, 10:10 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, good to see the mod list growing.
I'll be doing an intake swap myself soon also. I've been staring at this 90mm LSX sitting in my room for about a month now.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

I know what you mean Carlos about stuff sitting around. I've got a Yank 3200 converter sitting in my garage....it's been there 4 months!!! Let me know if you need a hand installing your intake.....I know what I'm doing now. I'm heading up to Moroso tomorrow with my friend and his Z06....you wanna join us?

I won't be doing anymore weight cutting as my car is a daily driver and I want to keep it safe just in case.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:01 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I could go but my car is out of commission for the week as I'm in the middle of doing an intake/header/exhaust swap along with some suspension upgrades.

Have fun for me!