Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new trick for more positive seal on airlid

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My new trick for more positive seal on airlid

Whats up . Here a slight seal dicovery that may or may not work you, but it did for me...

I have the QMP lid and FTRA and recently I had noticed that my lid looked a little more well-fitted on one side versus the other. What was wrong was that the tabs on the underside of the filer tray had easily settled into the base (as it is supposed to) on the passanger side but not the driver's side. No biggie, right? so I made sure that the tabs were in the on both sides of the base. The lid fit flushed and the way it was supposed to but I noticed slightly less power from a roll to a punch than when the tray was raised more on the driver's side from the tabs not being all the way in the base! What I did as a test was run black duct tape around the under lip of the filter tray to prevent the filter tray from sliding all the way into the base, pressing the filter tray and filter more against the lid. I re-insated the intake assembly (Which was tight as hell now with the tape added) and accelleration was quicker due to the better/tighter positive seal.

Just thought I'd share the info. Every bit helps, right?
Old 10-15-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are you using the K&N foam gasket that is suppose to be applied to the Air Lid to assist in sealing? Just curious as I have the same air lid and when I open it up my K&N is partially stuck to the air lid for a tight seal.

-Tom
Old 10-15-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tom99SS
Are you using the K&N foam gasket that is suppose to be applied to the Air Lid to assist in sealing? Just curious as I have the same air lid and when I open it up my K&N is partially stuck to the air lid for a tight seal.

-Tom
Yeah, I'm using the K&N gasket. But I see where you are coming from. I'm not talking about the air lid itself, thats fine. I'm referring to the removable tray that the filter sits in itself. Flip the tray upside down and you''ll see grooves where tabs on the base/radiator support slide into. All I did was put duct tape over the grooves on the tray so that the tray and filter sat higher than before. The tape doesnt allow the tray to sink into the support as much. So when you clamp the lid back on you'll find that it is tighter. I'm assuming it would improve the seal for non-FTRA setups too.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:03 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Cool, I have an extra K&N gasket laying around in case I needed to replace my old one...I might just add it on there on top of the old gasket to give a similar effect. And/or I might try your trick as well.

Also, what about trying to seal off the base a little better, I have FRA and I still have the front slot on the air box open (aka: the old stock air inlet) and was thinking of trying to seal it all up completely, any tricks to this or is just time to get busy with the foam tape?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Where can you purchase a replacement gasket? The former owner of my car didn't have much luck installing it.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert
Where can you purchase a replacement gasket? The former owner of my car didn't have much luck installing it.
Just call K&N, they will sell ya one real cheap I bet.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Cool, I have an extra K&N gasket laying around in case I needed to replace my old one...I might just add it on there on top of the old gasket to give a similar effect. And/or I might try your trick as well.

Also, what about trying to seal off the base a little better, I have FRA and I still have the front slot on the air box open (aka: the old stock air inlet) and was thinking of trying to seal it all up completely, any tricks to this or is just time to get busy with the foam tape?
I sealed up the base/radiator with duct tape too. I also taped up the mouth of the stock intake where the the supplied rubber seal strip goes that came with the FTRA kit. I found that the one that comes with the kit is not 100 percent air tight. Might as well help it out with some tape.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

If you have the SLP lid do you still need to use the K&N provided gasket seal?
Old 10-18-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Procircuit155
If you have the SLP lid do you still need to use the K&N provided gasket seal?
I did.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

SLP told me yes i need to use the seal and the person i bought the lid from said no? The seal was on my stock lid and wouldn't come off.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have no seal on my SLP lid, and I don't think its nessary, I have to almost stand on it now to get it to latch, I couldn't imagine If I put the seal in like I did on the stock lid. Also SLP has a strip the seals up the gap in the front of the air intake.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, the SLP lid is a pain to close w/o the seal. What are you guys doing as far as sealing up the air pump hole in the lid when doing non-emission headers.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

call SLP they have a plug they sent me one at no charge.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Recent update: I just changed to the SLP, and boy is it ever a superior product all the way around! The QMP is plain sad when comparing the quality and I'm sorry I ever bought it. With the QMP, I had a small crack that ended up snapping the lid, creating an air leak. I had to trash it. The SLP has a MUCH tighter/better fit (no trick needed, I see what you guys mean). They do make the same power, but the SLP seems to be a much more rigid, heavy duty, and well designed product. which I dig. I am much happier.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Just get the lid as tight and as far down as it will go to prevent the lid from scraping the underside of the hood.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtinktFormula
Whats up . Here a slight seal dicovery that may or may not work you, but it did for me...

I have the QMP lid and FTRA and recently I had noticed that my lid looked a little more well-fitted on one side versus the other. What was wrong was that the tabs on the underside of the filer tray had easily settled into the base (as it is supposed to) on the passanger side but not the driver's side. No biggie, right? so I made sure that the tabs were in the on both sides of the base. The lid fit flushed and the way it was supposed to but I noticed slightly less power from a roll to a punch than when the tray was raised more on the driver's side from the tabs not being all the way in the base! What I did as a test was run black duct tape around the under lip of the filter tray to prevent the filter tray from sliding all the way into the base, pressing the filter tray and filter more against the lid. I re-insated the intake assembly (Which was tight as hell now with the tape added) and accelleration was quicker due to the better/tighter positive seal.

Just thought I'd share the info. Every bit helps, right?
your *** is alot more sensitive than mine if you can feel a difference from a little crack in the lid