Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparks on launch; NOT good !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sparks on launch; NOT good !!!

Guys, I am having some type of serious issue on the launching of my car at the track. The car now feels like it has a small miss at low RPM. Here is what it does. First it BARELY wanted to roll over the ET Streets even in the wet. It did but was very slow about getting there. Upon the launch sparks shoot out from under the passenger side of the car. It appears that it is coming from somewhere around the passenger side of the motor. It will occasionally ping as well. But when I launch the car it either falls on it's face for a moment while every light on the dash lights up or it dies and has to be restarted. This is when it throws the sparks. The only thing that I have done since it started this crud it put the Pacesetter LT headers on with the cheesy O2 extenders (I will buy a set of good extensions now.) and put the plugs and plug wires back on. I am wondering if one of the plug wires it grounding itself out of something. I haven't been able to find it while the car is sitting and running (No laser light show.). Any thoughts? Could the O2 extentions that I "made" using Pacesetters quality stuff be the issue or do you think that it is more likely a plug wire issue as in it is grounding itself some where as they were a pain to get back on and I had a freind help. Thanks again ya'll. Cheers !!!

Jim C.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

Update, it now acts like it does't want to stay running and the check engine light is on.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

Check your battery to make sure it's secure and does not move. I had the same problem on hard launches at the track. It was the battery tipping forward shorting the positive terminal on the A/C condenser bracket. Check the terminal for signs of arcing.This would cause the gauges to light up and the car would completely fall on it's face. I did see sparks but this was crossmember scraping on the ground after the car slammed down.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Geek
Update, it now acts like it does't want to stay running and the check engine light is on.
What is the code?
Old 10-23-2004, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLKTA
Check your battery to make sure it's secure and does not move. I had the same problem on hard launches at the track. It was the battery tipping forward shorting the positive terminal on the A/C condenser bracket. Check the terminal for signs of arcing.This would cause the gauges to light up and the car would completely fall on it's face. I did see sparks but this was crossmember scraping on the ground after the car slammed down.
You know it is funny you mention that because as it turns out that is EXACTLY what the problem was. I walked into our local speed shop to pick up some stuff and visit with some freinds and a buddy of mine said the exact same thing and showed me as well. Thanks for the help. I am not sure what code it is pulling just yet but will know soon as my HP Tuner software will be here next week. Thanks again. Cheers !!!

Jim C.