Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of MPG with volant airbox?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of MPG with volant airbox?

I recently installed a Volant cold airbox on a '99 T/A. I have an aftermarket Suncoast (I believe) Ram Air hood which has it's air openings on the top of the hood, similiar to an SS hood, if that makes sense. The top of the airbox encloses around the opening in the top of the hood perfectly. I've noticed that since I've installed it, however, my gas mileage has gone down 2-3 mpg both in city and on highway. This isn't due to more right foot, as I've considered that. I was thinking it might have something to do with being more 'cold air' oriented than that stock airbox and thus causing the O2 sensore to richen up the mix or something along those lines. Does the computer need to get readjusted to the new airbox or something? It still snaps your neck when I jump on the gas. Not sure if I want to lose those MPG's just for an airbox that probably doesn't make much of a HP difference. Haven't dyno'd so, don't really know if there has been a power to MPG tradeoff.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

colder air? mmmmaybe a little but also you should have to give the car the same slight amount less of throttle to do the same thing

figure this:

anything you do to make more power on an engine that is external besides power adders usually also gets better mileage because the extra power is coming from increasing the efficiency of the motor

i would do a computer reset just for good measure
Old 10-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volant intake

i got the volant intake too i realli havent notice a loss of gas milage on my tA also i really havent seen that many people with this intake do you know anybody else who has this plus i saw a dyno on a 99 TA who had this and it showed a 14 hp increase how much actual(not advertised)hp does a slp or other lids like that increse your hp

Last edited by panadero04; 10-24-2004 at 11:12 PM.