Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Thermostat ?'s

Stock o1' LS1 a4. I am planning on getting MTI to tune the computer later on. The only mod is long tube headers and an SLP loudmouth exhaust with gutted cats and 02 sims. How much of a difference will the cooler thermostat make on gas mileage and power. I have a 98' big block Pu and I swear it ran better after putting the factory 195 back in it. I had a 160 hypertech in the vehicle but it stuck on the way home and I had the OE stat in the toolbox. I am not sure if I want to change it back. This is my first F-body to date and I love it.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually there aren't any problems with installing the 160 thermos in our cars.. Alot of people do it and never get any tuning, but I think to get the most out of it. You should have the fans reprogrammed for the correct temperatures.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also like to know the gains people see after the thermostat. I'm a little skeptical since i've never seen any results but I bought one anyway. As for gas mileage, I don't see how it could do anything but hurt gas mileage just looking at it from a thermodynamics point of view.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to know I am not the only one looking at it from an engineering standpoint even though I am EE for Exxon/mobil.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The T-stat will need the fans turn on points to be adjusted...youll gain some decent horsepower...ids say near 10 (alot of boltons are in the 10 rwhp range)

you will loose gas mileage but nothing significant...the fans turning on more frequently cause it to work harder to stay cool...now the rest of the bolt onts like better air flow and Pulley should match i back to that of stock...so no worries
Old 10-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by P Mack
I would also like to know the gains people see after the thermostat. I'm a little skeptical since i've never seen any results but I bought one anyway. As for gas mileage, I don't see how it could do anything but hurt gas mileage just looking at it from a thermodynamics point of view.
to a point, every 10* is worth about 1-2% more power.
the ls1 engine seems to like the 175*-180*.
as of thermodynamics, the cooler C/C will allow for the cooler more dense
air to enter the C/C with out knock for more power, sence the LS1 is fuel injected the fuel ratio will not change because of the cooler engine, sept for what the pcm changes from what the o2s are reading trying to stay stoych.
but there are a lot of factors that play into this ie:ambiant air temp, baro, ign. timing, C/R, cyl. quenching, etc...
so it will better benifit from a tune.
hope that helps
Old 10-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

What do you guys suggest as the best on/ off times for the fans with a 160 t-stat?