Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CME tips with borla muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CME tips with borla muffler?

hey guys, went through the search, couldnt find anyone whos done this. i love the look of CME, but my borla sounds great and i dont want to fork over a grand for the entire catback, and loose my sound. i found the tips, elbows, and fascia on a site, not sure if they are a sponsor so i wont name them. but all that will run about $500, if i could make it work with my borla muffler. anyone done this? i would also like to put in a elec cutout where my plates go on the borla. can anyone help me out?
Old 10-29-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

U can buy CME tip separate + 90degree pipe with the rear kit, I think it will cost $500, there are some members they did it.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about a full borla cat back? If so, you shouldn't have that much trouble getting it done. I had the CME on my car from SLP. I swapped in a SLP LM and attached my CME tips to it. I then welded a borla muffler into the LM. So you can do about anything really.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i already have the borla cat back. but i am looking to improve the looks of the car, so i am wanting to do a round of appearance mods, SLP SS grille, clear corners, and CME tips and fascia. but like i said i would like to use my existing cat back to save money and keep my exhaust note i have now.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned earlier, if you buy the tips, valance, and 90 degree elbows from SLP, you should be able to adapt to the Borla. I'm in the process of adapting CME to my GMMG catback...it almost fits "right out of the box," it just needs a little tweaking. If you don't have access to an exhaust bender and welder, any reputable muffler shop should be able to fab it up for you...
Old 10-30-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I replaced my dual dual muffler with my Corsa muffler and retained the CME tips. Since Corsa is 3" inlet @ 3" outlets I had my muffler shop make up new 3" elbows where the outlet pipes come out of the muffler and run to the CME tips. The Corsa muffler is very small compared to the DD so the existing 2.5" pipes could not be utilized.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The one problem you might have is when you go to switch plates in the Borla later on. The center of the CME tips are not the strongest in the world. One thing you might want to think about doing at the same time is going with an electric cutout inplace of the Borla plates. Otherwise when you switch plates you might break the tips. Mine were broken by the first shop that tried to install my GMMG onto my CME. I had to go to a fabrication shop and have them TIG weld the tips back togeather.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i am planning on installing a QTEC cutout in place of the plates if/when i do this. my major concern is the way the right side tip is held on, there is a 3 bolt flange, so i am not sure if i will need to have a flange welded to the 90 degree pipe to it can attatch the cutout and muffler. the left side should be a piece of cake, and go like any other muffler. but the right side is the one i am concerned about. thanks for the replies
Old 10-31-2004, 10:12 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any good exhaust shop should be able to make this happen without too many problems at all. I had my CME tips mated to a Hooker catback, and it didn't take them but about an hour to get it all done. Just find a shop you can trust, and it should be cake for them.

Quick Reply: CME tips with borla muffler?