Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self-Circulating catch can.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Self-Circulating catch can.

here is my design for a Self-Circulating catch can.

the only downside to using this is the loss of your low oil sensor. (unless you want to tap another hole in the oil pan)

basicly, the air/oil mist is seperated by a stainess steel mesh, much like other catch cans. the diff is, the bottom of this can actually has a one way valve, that allows the oil to drain back into the pan once the engine is off.

im open to comments and suggestions on the idea.. im building the first prototype right now in my spare time.
Attached Thumbnails Self-Circulating catch can.-catchcan.jpg  
Old 11-02-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the one-way valve works off the vacuum from the engine? Closed when engine running, open when no vacuum?
Old 11-02-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by psykoTa
So the one-way valve works off the vacuum from the engine? Closed when engine running, open when no vacuum?
no, its just a one way valve.

it can let the fluid flow down (out of the can) but it wont let anything come back into the can.

of course that means that when theres a vacuum above it (the vacuum created by the running engine for example) the pressure from under it would be holding it closed... unless the weight of the oil was enough to overcome the vacuum pressure. in that case, the oil drains out of the can.

in otherwords, the can holds some oil while its running because of engine vacuum working agienst gravity. but it still drains itself before it gets too full.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Idea, however after seeing some of the stuff my catch can catches, I wouldn't want it going back into the engine. JMO

Mike
Old 11-03-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SidewaysTA
Nice Idea, however after seeing some of the stuff my catch can catches, I wouldn't want it going back into the engine. JMO

Mike
what do you see in your catch can?

it should only be oil and stuff thats already in the motor.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't ask me how/why, but it looks like dirty mustard diarhhea, and smells about as bad.

I think it's a water/oil milkshake mixed with blowby vapors. I just pulled out my Greddy catch can to empty it after about 3k miles of driving and the catch can was half full !

Definately worth it to have something catching that mess - but I'm sure I wouldn't want that mixture draining back into my oil pan.

Bad30th
Old 11-03-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Don't ask me how/why, but it looks like dirty mustard diarhhea, and smells about as bad.

I think it's a water/oil milkshake mixed with blowby vapors. I just pulled out my Greddy catch can to empty it after about 3k miles of driving and the catch can was half full !

Definately worth it to have something catching that mess - but I'm sure I wouldn't want that mixture draining back into my oil pan.

Bad30th

the water you see is from water vapor.
in the engine, it can evaportate, but in the catch can, it just accumulates.
this catch can wouldnt have that problem because it wouldnt hold the oil in there for prolonged peroids of time.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
the water you see is from water vapor.
in the engine, it can evaportate, but in the catch can, it just accumulates.
this catch can wouldnt have that problem because it wouldnt hold the oil in there for prolonged peroids of time.
Well, that is pretty much what it is. Water and Oil. But once it is caught, I just can't see putting this stuff back in the crankcase.

I wish you luck on it, let us know how it works.

Mike
Old 11-03-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had a couple of different catch cans. What they catch is mostly water, condensed out from crankcase vapor, so draining it back into the engine would not be good. After all the PCV is supposed to clear vapors out of the engine, so you don't want to put that stuff back.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Pat hit it on the head. If the catch can wasn't there, the vapors and gases would be burned in the combustion chambers, not recycled to the crankcase.

Mike