Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoke out the front after header install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation smoke out the front after header install?

Today my car finally had the true duals installed after the headers were installed a few days ago. I still don't have it back since it was dragging the ground once we got it off the lift, but the guy who did it said he is going to get 2 more brackets for it tomorrow so it will hang up and give me 4" to 5" of clearance. Well, I started the car up with everything installed, and I noticed that there was smoke coming from the front of the car and immediately shut it off. He said that tomorrow he will let it run for a while, and that it is just burning some of the excess paint and crap off the edelbrock LT's. Has anyone experience or even heard of this before. BTW I didn't throw any codes at all, so knock on wood.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's the first time it's been started since the header install I'd say it's paint and maybe some oil on the headers that's causing the smoking.

Al
Old 11-04-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more than likely just the burning of oil and all the other crap that gets on things during installs. When I installed my painted headers, the car smoked for about 5 mins before things cleared up.

You have to just be patient and let the heat do its job. CLEAN EVERYTHING OFF.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

happened to me, i got nervous and called jet hot, they said it was normal
Old 11-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks so much guys! I was really nervous that something went wrong and my computer just didn't pick it up and just didn't throw a code. At least I can drive my car home in comfort tomorrow. I really appreciate it!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the others.. Just for safety. Make sure the wires near the starter are clear of the header. They've been know to get burnt.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if they are painted then they are gonna smoke like hell when you start it up cuz all of that paint is gonna bubble up instantly