Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evap Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Evap Problem

I installed a Walbro 340 fuel pump about 3 months ago now. Last weekend, while pumping gas, I guess I somehow overfilled the tank, and gas spilled out underneath the car.

I had no clue this could happen. Got the car up on a lift today and noticed a little hose/vent on the front of the gas tank.

I have about a 1/4 tank of gas and I'm getting a P0440 code. EVAP Malfunction. Could overfilling the tank have screwed something up this bad?
Old 11-05-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could have popped something loose at the canister or damaged the vent valve. It doesn't take very much at all for that thing to start setting a P0440. That is without a doubt one of the hardest failures to locate and fix......mainly because the criteria to set that code has such narrow parameters. It could be just a loose line or fitting, or a pin-hole somewhere. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That happened to a buddy of mine once on his Jeep. We just cleared the code to see if it would come back and it never did.

Maybe your PCM just had a brain fart, too?