Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying exhaust rattle at idle (Broken Cat?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Annoying exhaust rattle at idle (Broken Cat?)

This weekend I've been on a mission to eliminate an exhaust rattle I've been hearing for a while now. I've tightened every possible heat sheild, insulated anything that I could think was rattling and it's still occuring.

The rattle sounds as if it's comming from the area near the rear of the cat on the drivers side. It only occurs at idle and very low RPM, taking off in 1st.

At first I thought it was the junction between the cat. I tightened it up (snapping one of the stock studs in the process ) After it still rattled, I thought it was the collet at the top of the rear o2 sensor. I crimped it down onto the sensor and I am still hearing the rattle. I'm running out of ideas and don't know where else to look.

I'm beginning to wonder if part of the ceramic of the cat broken off and rattling. Before I take the exhaust apart to find out... is there anything else that anybody can think of that might cause this rattle?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you think you have everything tight might want to take the y pipe off to see if any chunks of ceramic fall out. My pass side cat melted down in 17000mi. Or you could do your self a favor and get get some Lt's and ory
Old 11-06-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the quick response. My next step will be to take the y off.

The only reason I was questioning it is that I had never done anything that would be abusive to the cat. I had a hard time believing that the cat was broken with how carefull I've always been with the car. I also figured that, if it was broken, the ceramic would slowly work it's way to the rear of the car. I replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow a few days ago and there was no indication of any ceramic at the rear of the car.

Knowing that your cat was destroyed in half the miles I have on my car solidifies the idea that it's the cat.

Is there any tips that would help me slide the exhaust back the 1/2 inch needed to remove the y pipe?

BTW... I would love to get a different y but I have plans to lower the car by about 3/4" in the future. I'm not sure how an ory would hold up.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to un do the band clamp at the end of the y and begining og catback get behind the car and remove hangers for the muffler and pull untill the single pipe hits the axle then all thats left is the y pipe. WD40 the 6 bolts on cat studs and there you go. If you plan to lower you could get lts and and have a custom y maid with your new ground clearance just stay away from slp lts they hang lower. hope this helps good luck.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it. While I was in the process of unbolting the y, I did some further invesigation and found out that the vibration was actually comming from the o2 sensor. It was working properly, although it was making a wild rattling noise. Good news... it was only $60 bucks to fix... bad news, I lost my main reason for a few extra aftermarket goodies
Old 11-06-2004, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

I had the EXACT same problem. I had a split at the "Y". I little tack weld fixed it up right away. It took me a LONG time to find it.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you go to all the trouble of removing the Y pipe, I have a question. Did you use the pipe clamp that Magnaflow provided? I had the same problem. It drove me nuts for weeks until I figured out that it was the driver's side of the Y vibrating. The clamp that came with the kit wasn't holding the I pipe still. I had thrown out my factory band clamp, so I just put two clamps at the junction between the factory Y pipe and the Magnaflow catback. Three months later and still no rattle! I'd recommend getting a band clamp though, they hold better.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:smacks forehead: Just noticed that you found the problem.

I guess I need to read a lil better before I post.

Quick Reply: Annoying exhaust rattle at idle (Broken Cat?)