Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had this happen to their exhaust mount?

Old 11-07-2004, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone had this happen to their exhaust mount?

Well I had the car up on the lift yesterday at work to replace the back up lamp switch, and I thought I'd check for what was clunking under my car... the mount that bolts to the tranny that holds the passenger side of the y-pipe was broken at the trans. Wasn't what was causing the noise though checked teh torque arm and it moved up and down from just my hand. How do I tighten it or do I need a new bushing? Car has 94k on it.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

I've never seen that happen before.

Perhaps this is a good excuse to get an aftermarket torque arm? Edelbroch makes a pretty cheap non-adjustable torque arm.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't tell what's happening in your pictures, sorry. But no I've never had an exhaust mount break.

Your bushing is probably toast. See where it is loose - if it's the bushing you can get a replacement, if it's not that then the torque arm may be busted or loose at the other end.

Dope
Old 11-08-2004, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your torq arm can move its the bushing for sure. most likely what happened was the t/a bushing broke apart, and the arm torqued up and shocked the trans causing that mount to break. next thing you need to inspect is your bellhousing, mine cracked bad after my t/a bushing broke. replace the bushing with a poly one.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the bushing and see if it is cracked or anything. Also, check the bolts holding on the torque arm mount.

Search this Thread