Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a header setup that don't leak. ><

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 03:48 AM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a header setup that don't leak. ><

I'm tired of the leaking from this slip-fit crap design on my hooker lt's. I was looking at the mac mids because I had a set of their lt's on my mustang and the ball socket seats great and comes apart easy for removal. But it seems they are a tad small for ls1's. I also want a cat ypipe. So what are the options?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Kook, QTP and others if you want the quality and stainless steel. I personally am going with Kook LTs and catted Y down the line sometime soon. Check JRP's sticky on exhaust in the commonly asked questions it's a sticky in the new LS1 section.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What was said In ubove statement. Just get the good band clamps instead of "U" clamps. No leaks here.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Napa sells some nice 3 inch stainless steal band clamps. Try those with some copper RTV. No leaks here.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had problems with my stainless band clamps leaking, so I'm gonna try a new style clamp in December by the name of a Pi-thon Firelock. I posted on here a while back about them, but I'm gonna see if they work as well as they should (very $$$).
Old 11-09-2004, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I've had problems with my stainless band clamps leaking, so I'm gonna try a new style clamp in December by the name of a Pi-thon Firelock. I posted on here a while back about them, but I'm gonna see if they work as well as they should (very $$$).

Did you try and use your band clamps more than once? I find that they strech and leak after retightening them a couple of times.

BTW: Check out the Walker band clamps, they come with this black goo on them that seals up the joint really good. Also, Jeg's makes prefomed band clamps and I've found that they work awesome for slip fit applications.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:23 PM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

If you need a set of band clamps let me know. I have them in stock from Kooks for $10.95 each. If you are wanting a complete different set of headers and a Y pipe I can offer you Kooks, Dynatech, and most all the other major brands. Let me know if I can help!!
Old 11-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

I just had my set-up flanged at the headers and at the catback. This way I can still take the y-pipe down. Haven't had any problems going this route and used the copper flange gaskets with good success so far. This is another option instead of band clamps. Good luck
Old 11-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Did you try and use your band clamps more than once? I find that they strech and leak after retightening them a couple of times.

BTW: Check out the Walker band clamps, they come with this black goo on them that seals up the joint really good. Also, Jeg's makes prefomed band clamps and I've found that they work awesome for slip fit applications.
Yep, I've even used an impact wrench when I got pissed at them, and still no luck. I think the slip fit was just a bit too loose on the driver's side, but who knows.

I'm gonna go a different route and see if it works...if not, I'll be sad, poor, and STILL have a leaking exhaust.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Did you try tightening them to all different specs? Most stainless ones are suposed to seal at 50-80ftlbs. That'd suck if you can't get them sealed good.

BTW: Where did you see the Firelock clamps? I'd like to check them out. I'm always taking my exhaust off at the track and I go through band clamps like crazy. I'd like to find some reusable clamps. Since you have a slip fit and not a butt joint the preformed Jeg's clamps might do the trick.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

My TTS headers don't leak at all.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

Hooker supplied thin band clamps that were barely better than u-clamps. I got the 3" ones from NAPA. These firelock ones supposed to be better?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Did you try tightening them to all different specs? Most stainless ones are suposed to seal at 50-80ftlbs. That'd suck if you can't get them sealed good.

BTW: Where did you see the Firelock clamps? I'd like to check them out. I'm always taking my exhaust off at the track and I go through band clamps like crazy. I'd like to find some reusable clamps. Since you have a slip fit and not a butt joint the preformed Jeg's clamps might do the trick.
I actually have one Firelock clamp already from Pi-thon (the only place I think you can get them), and it is sitting in my closet at home. There will be three more coming shortly, so I'll have 2 3" ones and 2 2.5" ones. I recently put a deposit down and made an appointment with Speed Inc. to do their custom over the axle true dual setup, and I'm gonna have the 3" Firelocks at the header collector and the two 2.5" ones right before it goes over the axle.

My goal is to be able to easily drop the center section for clutch changes, etc, but it should also leave me with a fair amount of flexibility. I should be able to have some short dumps fabbed that could hook directly to the header collectors so I could run open headers, and I could easily have some swappable cats should the need arise. I really like the Firelock's design, as it only requires a butted connection (although they do make one for a slip fit connection), and they tighten very well with two spanner wrenches, and release even easier.

Don't kid yourself, these things aren't cheap (not like my exhaust will be anyways). I posted a thread about it before, but I've since taken the pictures down on my hosting site. If you want me to post them back up, I would be more than willing to accomodate you. They aren't even remotely like band clamps, and I'm hoping they work as well as they should.

Here's a link to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.pi-thon.com/Firelock.htm

Steve
Old 11-10-2004, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Yea my QTP's/Mufflex Y is leaking and I've used those SS band clamps from NAPA, but they still leak some, was thinking of going with the 3bolt flange style in the future, or maybe the ball/joint combo like on the Mustang's to see if that works.....
Old 11-10-2004, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

I sometimes use the NAPA SS bands and they are about the worst on the market as far as leaking goes. Try the Walkers they are about the best I have found (Summit should have them).

MeentSS02: Once you get your exhaust done post up how you like the clamps and everything. They are expensive but if they are reusable they are worth the money. I figure every time I take my exhaust off it cost about $25.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had problems with my Jet-Hots. I finally had a 3 bolt flange welded on both. I can have my exhaust (true duals that dump before the axle) off in about 15 minutes.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Steve H.
I had problems with my Jet-Hots. I finally had a 3 bolt flange welded on both. I can have my exhaust (true duals that dump before the axle) off in about 15 minutes.
That's what I did too. I don't care what anybody says, band clamps will leak.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

MeentSS02: Once you get your exhaust done post up how you like the clamps and everything. They are expensive but if they are reusable they are worth the money. I figure every time I take my exhaust off it cost about $25.
Will do...I'm really hoping these things work well. It is just too much money for them not to.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you should just get your headers flanged...that shouldn't be very expensive...and you will definatly not have leaks...

Quick Reply: Looking for a header setup that don't leak. ><