Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowtech headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flowtech headers

I see that Thunder Racing has Flowtech headers pretty cheap. Now I know these headers aren' t the best, but I need opinions on them. I' ve got a TR 227/224 cam, and I' m looking for cheap headers until I win the lottery and can afford the good ones. First of all, how well do they fit? Are they an easy install, or do you have to MAKE them fit? I' d like Hookers, but I' ve heard people have problems getting them to fit. I can' t afford Hookers yet, much less anything better. Secondly, would the Flowtechs flow well enough to utilize the benefits of the cam? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

I have flowtechs and I think they suck. If you get them don't get the coated ones because my coating started rusting after only a week. Mine installed pretty easily, I did do some grinding but I don't think I needed to anyway and I didn't have to remove anything to get them to fit. I did have some banging on the floor board issues but a little hammering on the floor board did the trick. Where the headers are drilled out for the air fitting and where the primaries join in the collectors there is alot of jagged protruding edges that can be grinded away for best performance. I think pacesetter would be a better choice.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude.. stay away from the Flowtechs.. Just spend $20 more and get Pacesetters...
Old 11-12-2004, 06:41 AM
FormerVendor

I would go ahead and save up and get what you want to begin with. No need in spending the money twice, and there sure is no need to do the install twice.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Launching!

I have flowtechs and installation was good...fitment was great...just make sure to grind down the k member a bit just incase. i payed $425 Shipped for the Headers, Y-pipe, and everything else that I needed to go with them.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jet Hots
Old 11-12-2004, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Get pacesetters...i've been happy with performance/clearance/fitment

just make damn sure you inspect them and make sure all hardware/O2's fit before installing
Old 11-12-2004, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LoSt1
I see that Thunder Racing has Flowtech headers pretty cheap. Now I know these headers aren' t the best, but I need opinions on them. I' ve got a TR 227/224 cam, and I' m looking for cheap headers until I win the lottery and can afford the good ones. First of all, how well do they fit? Are they an easy install, or do you have to MAKE them fit? I' d like Hookers, but I' ve heard people have problems getting them to fit. I can' t afford Hookers yet, much less anything better. Secondly, would the Flowtechs flow well enough to utilize the benefits of the cam? Any help would be appreciated.
Matt, you know I am only a phone call away.

That being said, you got a kickass deal on that cam so you mind as well just save up and get quality headers to compliment it. If you want the Hookers, just wait a little longer. In fact, I would be willing to bet one of more of the site sponsors will have some type of Christmas sell coming up and who knows, some of the different headers might be included.

P.S. Don't forget you still need to buy the rest of your clutch parts so we can get that new clutch installed.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are running the FlowTechs on our race car. They fit exactly like the Hooker in my SS ... no problems. That is because FlowTech is owned by Holley, which owns Hooker. The Pacesetter and Jet-Hot are of the same design (slight variances). With either of the four designs, it can be a hit or miss in clearance and install. I have installed several Hooker LTs, one set of Jet-Hots and the FlowTech ... they all went in without a hitch. If you are going to be switching them to larger sized LT in the future, get the uncoated ones.