Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Using Brisk Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone Using Brisk Plugs?

Has anyone tried the Brisk LGS plugs in an LS1 or LS6? The manufacturer's US homepage is HERE. These seemed to have gathered a bit of a following with the supercharged Ford crowd. I'm currently using regular TR-55's, but when I add a blower, the claimed self indexing and reduced tendency toward detonation of these plugs might be beneficial. Any feedback, particularly from S/C, turbo, or high compression guys would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:11 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might try these and see what they do if anything. I'll se how expensive they are first.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:18 AM
On The Tree

I just got a PM from another member here who replaced some Denso Iridiums and gained 8 HP. They can be had for under $10 from a Ford tuner in Texas. I believe the Densos are a bit higher priced. It's unusual to see a big gain from plugs, but he is running pretty high compression N/A.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:18 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They sound interesting enough to try a set.... any idea which ones we should order.....

I mean $70 for a set of plugs is worth trying considering I drop that much or more on a good friday night at the pub....
Old 11-23-2004, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
They sound interesting enough to try a set.... any idea which ones we should order.....

I mean $70 for a set of plugs is worth trying considering I drop that much or more on a good friday night at the pub....
The fellow I spoke to here is using DOR17LGS with 11.5:1 compression N/A, 24* timing at WOT. The 17 denote a slightly hotter than normal plug. Normal is 15. However, I have no idea how these heat ranges translate to conventional plugs. I'm attempting to communicate with James at RWTD, who is a dealer to get his opinion on heat range. RWTD stocks the GOR series which is a Ford fitment.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:56 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, I just ordered a set from one of the two sites they list at the corporate website. I called them and talked to them and they recommended a GOR15-LGS. They said that a lot of LS1 and LT1 guys are running this specific plug and have had very good success with it.

The way I look at it is it's $79... worst case scenario is they suck and I buy a set of TR55's and return these. But from everything I have heard, they smooth out throttle response as well as idle.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well, I just ordered a set from one of the two sites they list at the corporate website. I called them and talked to them and they recommended a GOR15-LGS. They said that a lot of LS1 and LT1 guys are running this specific plug and have had very good success with it.

The way I look at it is it's $79... worst case scenario is they suck and I buy a set of TR55's and return these. But from everything I have heard, they smooth out throttle response as well as idle.
Great! I'm looking forward to your results. It looks like the G vs D thing is about 1 1/2 mm length.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:32 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went 121MPH with NGK TR55.
I'll stick to them for 2 bucks a piece
Old 11-23-2004, 05:03 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by JS
I went 121MPH with NGK TR55.
I'll stick to them for 2 bucks a piece
Very true.... but maybe I'm a sucker for experimenting... the theory sounds pretty good and who knows... what if you switched and ran 11.06 @ 122.5 from simple changing plugs.

The whole reason I'm doing this is that I had NGK TR55s and did a plug change after running em for close to 15K. I was gonna just swap in another set of NGK's but no one carried em, at least none of the chain stores I stopped into one afternoon. A guy at Autozone said to try this AC Delco Iridium plug... well the runs like **** now.... the idle is rougher, the car misfires all the time and forget about trying to lug a gear at anything less than 2000 rpm.

So the plugs gotta go (and back to Autozone they will go) so I figured I'd try these plugs. If they don't work, its back to the trusty TR55's.

Sometimes you gotta try something new to see if something works better. Plus it gives me a reason to hang out in the garage on a Saturday. I sealed and insulated the garage last weekend as well as added some additional lights as well as put a register in there for heat. Tooling on the car is a mental break from work, so sometimes I look for things to do..... lol

P.S. Joel do you guys carry TR55's... if so I know where to run to get a set just in case.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alchemist, post up some initial thoughts and first test drive results as soon as you get them. I'm guessing that you should get them and install them in about two weeks. If all goes well for you I'm returning a set of TR55s that I purchased last weekend that I was planning on puting on my LS1. I am currently running Bosch +4s with no problems. They perform much better than the original plugs that I replaced about a year and a half ago. Half of the plugs were missing their platinum disks after 60k miles.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:58 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I should have these plugs by the end of this week, early next week.... It only takes about 1.5 hours to do a full plug change when I am goofing around so whenever I get em, they will be in that night....

So I will let you all know how the car feels.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

I just spoke to James at RWTD and he said GOR17 is equivalent to TR5.5 if such a plug existed (half step colder than TR5-TR55) and the GOR 15 would be a full step colder that that. (TR6.5) No loss of power with the colder plug. I'm going to go mild boost (about 7 Lb) in the Spring, so im still kind of kicking around which one to try.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Those are pretty sweet looking. It looks like it will work. A new twist on the old side-fire racing plugs. Awesome. It sucks that I have a brand new set of TR55s sitting in my garage (I was thinking about replacing my Bosch +4s). If they work, I want some!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alchemist, did you install your plugs already?
Old 12-01-2004, 05:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mistermike
I just got a PM from another member here who replaced some Denso Iridiums and gained 8 HP. They can be had for under $10 from a Ford tuner in Texas. I believe the Densos are a bit higher priced. It's unusual to see a big gain from plugs, but he is running pretty high compression N/A.
8 HP sounds? That sounds like a stretch
Old 12-01-2004, 06:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

No I haven't... I am calling today to get a tracking number. The plugs are coming from Texas to Philly, so figure 3-4 days ground shipping, add in Thanksgiving and they should be here in the next day or two. Look for results by this weekend.

Oh and I would definitely beleive 8hp when you look at the results of a cleaner, more efficient burn cycle and the added benefits from them.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:41 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, I am totally impressed...

I got the plugs Friday and changed em yesterday afternoon. Just to recap, I had TR-55s before and then did a plug change and got talked into a set of AC Delco iridium plugs. Installing the AC Delco plugs did not do anything for the car. It still felt like crap at low rpms and felt like I had a miss through out the entire rpm range, which is why I had changed out the TR-55s in the first place.

After changing the plugs in just over an hour and fifteen minutes (that included stopping for two phone calls), I took a spin to return the crappy AC Delco plugs. The car felt so go at all rpms. The motor is running so much smoother at all of the throttle positions and rpms.

To make even more of a point, I actually scared myself as I rolled up to a traffic light that was red I downshifted into second and it went green... I eased into the throttle at about 2400 rpm and lit up the rear bad and this was only at 1/2 throttle.

Now before anyone questions the performance, it is a fact that the car was not running well before with the AC Delco plugs, so some might say putting in a set of TR-55s would have made the same difference, but us F-body guys put in synthetic oil for two to three times the cost of regular oil and we change that every 3-5k miles. So in my book, $69 to my door for a great set of plugs is worth it.

I am sold on these plugs. Would I put them in all of my vehicles, no, not for the money they want... will I put them in my car in another 15-20K miles... HELL YEAH!!!

Taking my car back and forth to work I usually averaged about 220-225 miles per tank, which is around 17mpg. I'm gonna see how many I get this time. Even if I get another 10 miles a tank, that's great.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the review Alchemist.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the review! I'm happy you're getting good results. Is this car a daily driver? I'm very interested in how clean they stay, seeing as you're on the cooler end of the heat range. I'm getting ready to buy a grit blast spark plug cleaner that runs off any air line for about $20.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered my own set today and should recieve them on Tuesday. My girl offered to help me install them on Wednesday, so I'll let you know what I think about them. I ordered a set for a naturally aspirated LS1 and the salesman gave me a part# which I didn't get to write down because I was driving my beater in Mexico at the time. I'll aslo try to snap a few photos for you guys interested in this new spark plug design.

Quick Reply: Anyone Using Brisk Plugs?