Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Screened or Unscreened

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF Screened or Unscreened

I have a 2002 Z06 with a Tiger Shark Front Fascia and when I put the Blackwing on (which is directly in the air flow of the open front!) I catch this surging when cruising, not depending of gear or speed or rpm but related to the constant throttle opening...

On the other hand the car is a beast and here is the other thread with the mods and the dyno sheet :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...68#post2016868

They have tried to solve quickly this in Kelley and changed the spark plugs, the gap of them or I have tested a different kind of spark plugs wires and nothing was working around this .
My feeling was that the car was going leaner and leaner when I was driving with a small and constant opening throttle.... at this point Dan decided to go with more fuel at low revs, and after some adjustments it was better, in the very hot afternoon it was almost ok...but when I tried again at night with good fresh conditions (where the engine is better!!) the surging was here again....

Then I decided to try to put a screen in front of the MAF (I have read that 2001 Z06 maf was a solution) AND ALL THE SURGE PROBLEM WAS GONE AWAY !!!
I will go on the dyno again with Dan and Angel mid december to finish quietly the tuning and my questions are :

-from your experience do we lose power with the screen in front of the MAF???
-is there another solution ???
Old 11-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have not had my screen in for two years and no trouble. descreening is hit or miss
Old 11-25-2004, 02:13 PM
NKAWTG...N

mines gone and haven't had any problems.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto, mine is gone, no probs for 2 years as well. got lucky i guess!
Old 11-25-2004, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the GMAF, descreened MAF and PACE LS6 85mm.

I'm now back to stock with a screen.

Car runs best this way UNLESS you know of a tuner who can recalibrate the MAF table.

For me, it really became apparent with H/C. The descreened stock stunk, as did the other 2.

My $.02.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stoleit
mines gone and haven't had any problems.
Same here, over 3 years now.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

I didn't check out your specs but I have seen where the filter oil can get sucked off the filter and clog the maf especially if it's w/out the screen ! For n/a specs though you should be fine...
Old 11-27-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

I made a few miles this morning, the engine seems to be stronger and stronger,and by the feeling that I have driving the car now it is difficult to tell if the screen in front of the M.A.F. cost me some HP or if it add some torque, and where those changes can appear....

Next time on the dyno will tell us how to manage this screen and what kind of gain or lost we can record with clear data...

I am back from a trip in europe, and I went driving around with the Z06 to check if my last conclusions about the SURGING PROBLEM was founded :
YES, definitively nothing wrong with the management of the throttle, I COULD'NT REPRODUCE ANY SURGE!!!

But the interesting experience that I attempted, was to exagerate the low speed of cruising:
I went in 6 gear down to 38miles/hour on the HUD for 2 miles on the I 95, impossible to give you precisely the right RPM at this point, certainly around 800rpm, and the car was so quiet that I would say BETTER than before the mods !!!!
after those 2 miles of quietude I decided to go FULL THROTTLE to give a chance of surging or bucking or some hesitation, and from where I was, around 800rpm to 3500rpm the engine WORKED PERFECTLY !!!

If next time on the dyno we can obtain the same kind of power (a little more please) and a so nice TORQUE CURVE, the screen M.A.F. will be nominated as a great improvement....
Christian
Old 11-27-2004, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.ls1tuning.com/iboard/inde...&hl=maf+screen

Seriously, read up on this, it's been discussed a ton in 4 years!
Old 11-27-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Viper
http://www.ls1tuning.com/iboard/inde...&hl=maf+screen

Seriously, read up on this, it's been discussed a ton in 4 years!
Just put the MAF down....and walk away...
Old 11-27-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you Viper for the link, instructive and constructive.
I have read so much (NEVER enough I know) on those M.A.F. recalibration and the differents way that are used to do it but I didn't found so much threads treating of this conjonction of:

- FRESH FORCED AIR (through the Tiger Shark fascia)
- BLACKWING
- Screen or unscreened M.A.F.
- Surging or Bucking at partial throttle opening

The real question is :
- do I keep this wide open fascia ? (to keep the forced fresh air)
- do I keep the screen in front of the M.A.F.? (whit no loss of power)

Finally is it possible to use an unscreened M.A.F. with fresh forced air + a Blackwing + the mods on my Z06 with no problem ??
Old 11-27-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say if you drive a Z06 then you have enough money to buy mod's and don't need to rely on doing the free ones. I have descreened mine with no problem.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

no question about money here, I just want to learn, to understand and to find an answer for a special case that I can share with everyone who need it.

I am 47 but I had already the same PASSION for cars when I was 18, the difference is that I had no money to buy a car at this time, I was dreaming of those beautiful Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati when I was working on them as a junior mechanic in the north of Italia, today the time is missing to do all the job (and the FUN that goes with !) myself but I'm always in love with Horsepower

Christian
Old 11-27-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

miami, i see you're pretty stuck on the forced air theory. unless you have an FI system, there's really no forcing going on. maybe a much less restricted path, but no forcing. this has been discussed to death concerning the t/a ram air model, as well as the camaro SS. unless there is something special with the tigershark fascia(like a built in ATI procharger ) i would think its much the same case. just less restriction.

2003+ z06's i thought cam stock w/descreen maf's. that should tell you enough about what you'd like to know. GM finds it to be a worthy mod, and they spend how much $$ in R&D? on the other hand, if screening it solves your problem, then it looks like you have a solution. is the thought of having the screen on bothering you that much? sounds like not having it is bothering your car more
Old 11-27-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

it's good to hear from experience and good sense cyphur_traq, now the next step will be to find the right tuning for partial throttle to obtain the same engine attitude at cruising speed that I have with the screen now, BUT WITHOUT THE SCREEN, at this point I am just an ignorant on how work the different tables and what would solve my issue :

IFR table, VE table, MAF table, LTFT's, PE tables, I am really far away from this electronic technical terminology but I want to learn, any teaching is welcome

Anyway cyphur_traq thank you for indicate me the way
Old 11-27-2004, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Check out :

www.ls1tuning.com

www.ls1howto.com

www.installuniversity.com

I understand where you're coming from now. You'll be hard pressed to find a distinctive comparison of your combo with regards to screened/descreened.

Welcome to the board!
Old 11-27-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Miami, glad to help a little. Got pics of that fascia? I'd love to see it.

I'm not one to talk to about tuning.....I've not even started learning that facet of the house. I need to. I suggest you head over to the PCM section and read up, and hit up jimmyblue for some advice. He should set you in the right direction for sure
Old 11-27-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you Viper, a lot to learn and certainly more questions to ask...

cyphur_traq I have send you an e-mail, waiting for your answer
Old 11-28-2004, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
2003+ z06's i thought cam stock w/descreen maf's. that should tell you enough about what you'd like to know. GM finds it to be a worthy mod, and they spend how much $$ in R&D?
2002s and up actually, and I agree.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Appreciate the info!! Don't wanna spread bad juju......

Quick Reply: MAF Screened or Unscreened