Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynatech, QTP, FLP any issues or feedback

Old 11-25-2004, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynatech, QTP, FLP any issues or feedback

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I'm considering upgrading to a complete header system with it's brand catted Y-pipe!

I'm done with the leaking and clearance issues of a custom y-pipe for my Hooker LT with cats. Can't seem to find any local quality muffler shop who can get it right the first time without any fittment issues with (false knock retard from frame interference at WOT) or exhaust leaks around the flanges or gaskets issues later down the line. After replacing gaskets and retightening bolts and or nuts and when everything is tighten up the car runs fine for a thousand miles or so but after many driveways and speed bumps then things slowly loosens up the car once again starts throwing off my tune with a lean condition on the top end and robbing performance not to mention the poor gas mileage per tank.

I'm interested in a complete stainless LT catted header system that can be easily bolted and unbolted if necessary, can switch from cats to off road pipes with no hassles or clearance issues with the chassis or other components but above all NO EXHAUST LEAKS!!! Also what's the quality/fittment of any of there catted Y-pipe?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has either of these brand header set-up what they think about quality and fittment plus any long term or recurring issues they have experience with either brand. If I'm spending $1200+ for just an exhuast set-up, I'd like to make sure I get what I pay for.

Last edited by Hyper SS; 11-27-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

You can't go wrong with QTP....and i'm not sure but does flp still make fbody headers? I was looking on their site today and couldn't find it.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Hey, if you wanna discuss anything, questions you might have or just wanna find out some more. Just gimme a call...although I dont think any of us will be in on black friday. On monday though we will all be back to work...so if ya need anything, feel free to call.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to FLP to get a 3 inch clamp and was told their not making the F body header system's any longer. The only thing I dont like about QTP's is that I cant get to the passenger side rear spark plug as easy from the top or the bottom any longer like I could with other header systems.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
You can't go wrong with QTP....and i'm not sure but does flp still make fbody headers? I was looking on their site today and couldn't find it.
You definetly cant go wrong with QTP! I have had mine for about a month or so and love them. The quality is great and they usually dyno a little higher than most headers! Fitment on these are awesome and they went right in with no problems, no moving or grinding things! The price is definetly worth the product you get!
Old 11-26-2004, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

QTP
Old 11-26-2004, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

I've had FLP's for 3 years with no problems.....
Old 11-26-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

we pretty much only sell the QTPs and Dynatechs... however I prefer the QTPs because of the solid power they make... on our dyno the QTP cars are making a solid 10-12 rwhp over the cars using other brands we install (havent done a back to back with dynatechs yet)... and the QTPs are CAKE to install... plus take a peak at their collectors if you get a chance, they are sweet!
Old 11-26-2004, 08:28 AM
9 Second Club

Another QTP guy here, they are awsome.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my QTP's
Old 11-26-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love my QTP headers but the catted Y is a piece of leaky junk!
Old 11-26-2004, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replys. QTP seems to be the choice so far but I'm more interested in the fittment of the catted Y-pipes mated to any of the headers. I plan on running a tame H/C set-up (stage 1 LS6 heads and 220 or 224 on a 114 lsa) 1 3/4" header should do!

Anyone with Dynatechs out there care to reply?
Old 11-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Another vote for the QTP's here. The fitment on these is awesome.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

I just bought FLPs used and they look awesome. I am having them installed next weekend so I can tell you more about them then. If I was gonna buy them new, I would go QTP or Kooks most likely.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bradl1982
I love my QTP headers but the catted Y is a piece of leaky junk!
On my QTP's I had part's of my "Y" welded and used an FLP 3 inch exhaust band clamp between the "I" pipe and "y", No leaks and sounds really good with a SLP DD.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
we pretty much only sell the QTPs and Dynatechs... however I prefer the QTPs because of the solid power they make... on our dyno the QTP cars are making a solid 10-12 rwhp over the cars using other brands we install (havent done a back to back with dynatechs yet)... and the QTPs are CAKE to install... plus take a peak at their collectors if you get a chance, they are sweet!
Are you talking about the high velocity merge collectors that make the power over other headers? Or are you just saying that the QTP standard headers make 10-12 rwhp over other headers? Do you have any dyno graphs of a car that has had just the headers/y-pipe changed to QTP? I have been searching for this and can't find a comparison. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2004, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

QTPs are the best.. no doubt about it...

i am very pleased with mine.. i have had other systems in the car and i sold them and got the QTPs.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best is relative.

The best headers would be custom one off set made to an engine depending on the engine's specs/goals, etc.

You can't go wrong with either of the headers mentioned. You pay for what you get. If I were to buy another off the shelf set it'd be either QTP or Kooks 1 7/8" stainless and preferably with QTP's merge collectors. If I were to buy a custom set I'd have them custom made and that'd probably run about $2K for just headers.

Search this Thread