Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad tsp x clearance

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bad tsp x clearance

well I had ordered a tsp x pipe and just put it on along with pacesetter longtubes. Knowing I would have clearance issues cause I have eibach sport line springs i went ahead and put them on and i dunno if i did somethin wrong or not but I have about a half inch of clearance on my passenger side on the turndown and no clearance whatsoever on the driverside turndown....where did you all bolt ur mufflers and what else could i do to get more clearance

I was being stupid thinkin i oculd drive it and just wear that turndown that was scraping down so it owuldnt scrape no more but realized it scraped the **** outta my muffler now the bottom of it is just flat... so now i gotta end takin to a muffler shop to put a flangeson and weld it all together and a friend is gonan let me have his stock springs for the rear so hopefully that'll be it?

Anyways the sound is badass it makes my car sound like it has a cam that lopes even tho everything is stock and you can definately feel a difference.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sportlines + 3" Dual Exhaust = what the heck were you thinkin????

You might be able to get an exhaust shop to help you out... But I doubt that you gain much clearance w/ your car being that low.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

You can always have a exhaust shop attempt to do the floor board mod! It might get ya some....but who knows with those sportlines!
Old 11-26-2004, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm. Here's a better idea. Stop scraping the **** out of it, try and sell it and recoup some money. Then get Lane to build you a setup that will at least give you some clearence. Just a thought tho.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

lanes is to expensive and while i already have this i might as well just keep it i have a friend thats going to give me his springs from his 93 z so im just gonna put them in the rear and leave the front alone and that should give me the clearance i need shouldnt it? I think ill order another bullet with turndown from tsp...anyone know how much it costs?
Old 11-26-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am at stock height and I still scrape on some speed bumps. The clearance is not what I was expecting. But that is what you get when you put duals on an F-body! The sound is the saving grace on my system. I love it!
Old 11-26-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

well fk i tried to put my exhaust on again and it wont fkn slip on the drivers side header it slips on about half an inch and thats it i tried everything if you barely move it it just slips off so I just give up. Where do you mount the mufflers I dont knwo where, I mounted it on the driveshaft tunnel cause I cant find anywhere else so i just drilled a couple holes.....anybody have any pictures of where to mount the mufflers?

If not i guess ill wait till monday...,dont want to cause I need somethin to drive,....to take it to a muffler shop...anybody have a clue on what it would cost to have flanges put on and weld the whole exhaust and tuck it up?

1 more question....how hard is it to put springs in the rear so i take off my sportlines?
Old 11-26-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
well fk i tried to put my exhaust on again and it wont fkn slip on the drivers side header it slips on about half an inch and thats it i tried everything if you barely move it it just slips off so I just give up. Where do you mount the mufflers I dont knwo where, I mounted it on the driveshaft tunnel cause I cant find anywhere else so i just drilled a couple holes.....anybody have any pictures of where to mount the mufflers?

If not i guess ill wait till monday...,dont want to cause I need somethin to drive,....to take it to a muffler shop...anybody have a clue on what it would cost to have flanges put on and weld the whole exhaust and tuck it up?

1 more question....how hard is it to put springs in the rear so i take off my sportlines?
For slip fitting on the header, try spraying some lubricant on it and wiggling it out. As for mounting the mufflers, try getting them into the tunnel as best you can. This will give you the clearance that you need.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

I already tried both... On 5point7's tsp duals his mufflers are mounted somewhere else he has a picture but you cant really tell
Old 11-26-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I made my own true dual x pipe system with a universal kit but its the same as what you are doing.

On the driver side there is a reinforcment on the floorpan that robs a little of your clearance. I didnt touch mine because I dont think I will need to but you can cut away or pound away on the arear that your pipe runs under to get it even with the floorpan. This will not give you much extra clearance because the fuel lines are there also. You need to take the rear legs of the system and twist them in a way that the bullets point upward slightly so they will go into the tunnel. You cant get the driver side all the way in the tunnel since the torque arm is there but every little bit helps. If your car is that low then even a 3" y pipe is gonna give you problems. I will take pics of my system tomorow to show clearance. Judging from the underside lying on my back I think the driver side pipe coming off the header and my bullets are about the same distance from the ground.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

lanes is to expensive and while i already have this i might as well just keep it i have a friend thats going to give me his springs from his 93 z so im just gonna put them in the rear and leave the front alone and that should give me the clearance i need shouldnt it? I think ill order another bullet with turndown from tsp...anyone know how much it costs?
Please post up when you've finished buying more parts and having exhaust shop work done to it.

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Man, I'm not so sure about putting '93 springs on the back and sport lines in the front. That'll make your car look fucked up for one, but the mis-matched spring rates can't be a good thing either.....

I say pull the sportline kit and buy BMR springs or likewise if you have to be lowered. They're only an inch and you'll gain a bunch of clearance. Either way it sounds like you need an exhaust shop to rig this system up for you. Just make sure you aren't trying to install the x-pipe section upside down. I've heard it looks VERY similar upside down but won't slide onto the headers for **** if it is.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Your not going to have much ground clearence no matter what you do. I have a pro-kit and Lanes duals, and I STILL scrape on everything know to man. I can even get in and out of my driveway without scraping, and its not even a steep drop.

Just one of those things you will have to live with, but you can improve clearence a little though. You will always scrape.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

yeh I had the x on backwards or somethin cause it was to close to the driveshaft tunnel so i flipped it over and it was centered I think ill just put the stock springs on all 4s then for now.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeh I had the x on backwards or somethin cause it was to close to the driveshaft tunnel so i flipped it over and it was centered I think ill just put the stock springs on all 4s then for now.
How did you manage to piece it together that way Hmmm...as I stated in an earlier post...Some buddies and I installed the TSP system last week, it hung a lil low but it was only our fault. We readjusted it last night and WOW! Talk about GREAT clearance. Honestly...the system tucks better than my ORY up to the bullets...from there the clearance is still great considering I have SLP bilsteins/eibachs on all 4! I would suggest playing with the left side a bit to help raising the system. I'll get some pics tomorrow to give you a better idea what it should look like once installed...
Old 11-27-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

the left side meaning the drivers side? cause that was the only side that was dragging the other side had about an inch of clearance but did not drag at all when i took it for a spin even in dips...When u take those pictures can u take one where you mounted ur bullets and did you have to bend ur hangers or what and how?

How much is ur car dropped witht he eibachs and bilsteins cause i know my sport lines on my car is pretty low not sure how much it is dropped.

If I can figure out how to tuck it in from some pictures ull be postin hopefully i just need to figure out how to get the L1 piece to fit in the header correctly ive twisted and beat on it and dont knwo what else.... only goes in there half an inch and just falls off if i mess with somethin....
Old 11-27-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

the left side meaning the drivers side? cause that was the only side that was dragging the other side had about an inch of clearance but did not drag at all when i took it for a spin even in dips...When u take those pictures can u take one where you mounted ur bullets and did you have to bend ur hangers or what and how?

How much is ur car dropped witht he eibachs and bilsteins cause i know my sport lines on my car is pretty low not sure how much it is dropped.

If I can figure out how to tuck it in from some pictures ull be postin hopefully i just need to figure out how to get the L1 piece to fit in the header correctly ive twisted and beat on it and dont knwo what else.... only goes in there half an inch and just falls off if i mess with somethin....
If you dont correctly position L1, then L2 (which is your elbow on the driver side)will bow downward...creating terrible clearance! Spray some good ol' WD-40 and it'll slide in pretty easily. The position of L1 should be almost parallel to your floorboard.

My car lowered about 1inch if that...but even with 1-1.5 inch...I dont see clearance being too big of a problem...looking underneath my car...it all hangs about where my ORY did, if not better.

Once the exhaust was were I wanted it...the hangers were about 1/4-1/2 inch away from where they should mount on the floorboard...I just simply took some self-tapping screws and drilled into the floorboard...they seem to be holding up fine that way. I guess you could bend them if you wanted...

If the weathers nice...I'll be washing the car and taking some pics of the exhaust...I'll try to remember the steps I took to piecing this thing together as well...

Old 11-27-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

i sprayed wd-40 on every connection and L1 is parallel to the floorboard to. Did you put ur x piece by piece under ur car just already have it assembled then put it on? cause I tried both and seemed easier to just put it all assembled on and when u get those pics can u please post where u mounted the bullets cause that could be why i dont have any ground clearance....did you have to do anything with ur fuel lines anything?
Old 11-28-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, just got home from church and I'm feeling a little giving.. So here's some free advice.

Ideally(sp?), you want to be able to squeeze your fingers in between the pipe and the frame rail on the drivers side low point. Anything more, and you're going to scrape on occasion. Anything less, and it will hit the frame rail on acceleration.

If you have a gangster cam, you may need a little more room there. You can tuck it up more and 'flatten' the pipe there a bit - which WON'T hurt flow ANY. Or just deal with the scraping - which IMO is better than the pipe hitting the floor-board whenever you get on the gas. Giving you false knock and generally diving you crazy.

The biggest problem I see in the TSP systems is behind the X. The 'tail-pipes' are too far apart and not tucked into the DS tunnel enough. You can have them rebuilt closer together - or just 'squeeze' them closer together on the ground. Not sure how well that will work on their system, but it's been done before. Also - the hangers will soon be an issue, because under hard torque on a powerful motor, the drivers side hanger will eventually rip out of the floor-board. We had to change our hanger system after seeing that happen too many times. Plus, the little square bushings are too stiff and they transfer a lot of vibration.

Bottom line: Get the system up as far as you can up front, but allow for your fingers to go in between the pipe and frame-rail. Out back, do the same, if not even closer - within 1/2" or so - between the mufflers and floor-boards. Oh yeah, 'flip' the fuel lines on their brackets so that the lines run ABOVE the mounting screws - which are 10mm. This is easy to do, may take some grunt - but will move your fuel lines away from the heat and give you more room to tuck the system higher.

Do that and you should be ok, unless your car is on the ground low...
Old 11-28-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

did you have to do anything with ur fuel lines anything?
yea, flip the little tab that holds them upside down...adds some nice clearance.