Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley/Weiand intake users, inside please......

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley/Weiand intake users, inside please......

I've decided to go with the Holley/Weiand intake over the LS6 because of the porting capabilities since I'm getting a set of heads, and it looks different sitting on the engine , I have an idea about dealing with the infamous "heak soak" problem with these manifolds so I'm not worried about that, but I have a few Q's. I've read that these things have sealing problems, how many people have experienced this? What did you do resolve it? Is there a different type of gasket I can use, rather then the paper style that comes with the manifold? I've also heard that the bolts back out on it, causing it to leak, has anyone experienced this? How have you resolved this? I've also heard about a problem with the MAP sensor on the back of the manifold, what's the deal on that? Lastly, other then the "heat soak" problem, is there any reason I should NOT get the Holley intake? I am getting a deal on one so the price difference doesn't matter to me.

Thanks,
Robbie
Old 11-28-2004, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

The original casting had sealing problems because it wasn't machined on the bottom to clear the knock sensor/valley cover bolts. Back then you could either machine/dremel the intake to clear them or you could replace the valley cover bolts with flat-headed bolts. The newer casting design (which was changed to years ago) has a machined area that will clear the bolts.

I have no sealing problems at all with mine. I ordered a new set of gaskets and used red loctite on the bolts for the assembly plate on the bottom of the intake. The paper gaskets for it are fine, just make sure they're all the way "up" as they have a tendency to slide down during the install, and the top of the gasket will block your fuel injector pattern if it's not all the way "up" against the casting in the head (you'll see what I mean).

I bought my intake used, the MAP sensor had already been RTV'd and had a good seal. I don't know if yours will be the same, but I had to run the small A/C vent vac line over to a "T" in the the EVAP vac line because there wasn't a provision to connect the small line to the back of the intake (so the A/C vents would still work).

I also bought about 4 feet of 3/8" fuel line and made a new custom length brake booster hose, the factory one won't quite fit. (Careful with the oil pressure sending unit !).

The intake definately gets hot to the touch when the car is warmed up, but I'm unsure of any "documentable" power loss to heat soak. Remember, almost every LT1 car out there has an aluminum intake and you don't hear anything about heat soak from those guys...

Hope this helps.
Bad30th
Old 11-28-2004, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

thanks Bad30th, if I do get the intake, it will be a new one, what exactly is the problem with the MAP sensor? It doesn't fit the hole, correct? Do you have the polished one or the satin one?