Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help asap with a/c removal..

Old 11-28-2004, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help asap with a/c removal..

ok im wanting to take the a/c off the car... its a 2002 z28.. its a non option car to begin with and i want it lighter.. also i have my trans cooler b/t the a/c radiator thing and the radiator.... this limits the cooling of this and i have a race built trans... need all the cooling i can get
anyways since its a 02 35th year.. my dad.... who doesn't own the car but still will bitch, says i must do it WITH MINIMAL DAMAGE "mind u the n2o kit he didn't complain about".. personally i just want a few step by step instructions on how to pull it off using his tools while hes at work tommorow and im off... dont mind making cuts.. want to pull off that front radiator thing.. the lil can shaped thing.. and the tubing.. pics of steps would help.. thanks this is really important.. and i know i dont know much about it but i rebuilt my trans by simply using a book on it.. so i can get it done if im told how!!! thanks in advance guys..
also give me some info on what belt i can remove at the track if any.. and what hoses i may need to block off or soemthing.. dont want a/c coolant stuff everywhere
Old 11-29-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

The ac belt drives only the ac, so you can take it off with no problems. The ac compressor is held on by four bolts, 2 hoses, and 1 electrical connector. Take out elec. connector, remove the two hoses(but be careful, because freon will be coming out, and it will freeze you skin), then pull the four bolts. The compressor will come off. Now just disconnect the hoses on the other end, and while you are at it pull the accumulator too. To get the condensor out, you will have to pull the air box off, and move the radiator enough to weasel the condensor out.

BTW, you are suppose to capture the old freon and dispose of it properly, so the tree hugging hippies wont get mad.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Take it to a local shop and have them pull down the system. Then go home and unbolt everything and remove the whole system. While you're at it, try and remove the evap box too. Opens up a lot of space on the pass side of the engine.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

okay so just wear some gloves or something and make sure and use like a oil pan to catch the freon ****... question if it lands on teh driveway is it really going to mess anything up that bad? also give me some more info on the evap box... all but got the ac off...
Old 12-04-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The oil is very little and the freon is gas. Take screwdriver and stick it in the valve stem on the ac line rap the screwdriver in a rag and push.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

oh ok i c.. so just dont breathe in this gas.. lol

my tranny cooler is mounted currently on the ac condensor.. think it is safe to mount on the radiator???
Old 12-05-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redrocketls1
oh ok i c.. so just dont breathe in this gas.. lol

my tranny cooler is mounted currently on the ac condensor.. think it is safe to mount on the radiator???
Trannycoolers have been mount to the radiators for a long time. If done right It's should be a problem.

Search this Thread