Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add muffler(s) to SLP LM to kill rasp? Best Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Add muffler(s) to SLP LM to kill rasp? Best Muffler?

My current exhaust setup is Pacesetter LT's, TSP ory and SLP Loudmouth. I like the sound at idle and WOT, but the obnoxious, untuned rap-rap-rap sound I get at a certain lower rpm/engine load is getting really old really fast. Its like it sounds fine when I first start accelerating (at an easy pace), than at a certain rpm that obnoxious rapping sound starts. When I am racing the rpm go up so fast that it all sounds great. But driving around town it sounds almost like a semi with an exhaust leak or something.

I prefer a much more tuned, controlled sound. Can I have muffler(s) welded into the SLP LM or would I just be better off selling the LM and buying a new exhaust that comes with mufflers??

If the best way to go is to just have a shop weld in mufflers to my existing exhaust what are the best mufflers on a budget that will get rid of that loud rapping noise I am talking about. And do I need 2 mufflers or only one??

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think you would be fine replacing the resonator with an 18" Dynomax bullet. This would basically be the set up of TSP rumbler catback system...I've heard a couple with LT's/ORY and the sound was pretty good...

You could also get an SLP Dual Dual catback...these flow pretty good and tone down the obnoxious sounds you can pick up when going to LT's...
Old 11-29-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard Borla XR-1 is even better, but costs more too...
Old 11-29-2004, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AdamSS
I heard Borla XR-1 is even better, but costs more too...
I agree, the Borla XR1 will own any other muffler. The sound that the XR1 makes is just awesome. Oh yeah, it kills rasp, but not completely. It just makes everything sound better.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
I agree, the Borla XR1 will own any other muffler. The sound that the XR1 makes is just awesome. Oh yeah, it kills rasp, but not completely. It just makes everything sound better.

The killer is I am almost positive the car had an XR-1 muffler on it BEFORE I got the LT's and ory installed at a shop. Somehow, after the install it mysteriously dissapeared.

I didn't put the muffler on myself, but the previous owner listed it as one of the mods and I always had it in my signature myself. I just emailed the original owner to verify that he did in fact have an XR-1 installed in the LM.

How is the XR-1 supposed to flow? Will it kill much horsepower??
Old 11-29-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet thunder 18' bullet are only 50 bucks for aluminized they sound really nice. They are a way different sound than Dynomax.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

there will still be rasp with sweet thunder. i switched out from my mac Mids and ORY (which ownz for deadly rasp). I had a dynomouth setup (bullet in the I-pipe) and the rasp was horrible. I put in a XR-1 (40085) and the rasp has gone down 85% and my car now sounds deeper. It is still getting deeper the more I drive it and I've only had it on for 1.5 weeks. Im very satisfied with my $120 investment
Old 11-29-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

How much did it cost to have a shop weld the Xr-1 in place of the LM resonator?
Old 11-29-2004, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

well a friend and I did my welding. shouldnt be much for a shop to do it. i never had a loudmouth to begin with. i had a shop make a custom Y to custom tips and just put a bullet before the over the axle pipe. So i had a custom dynomouth, and we cut the bullet out for the XR-1 hence the Borlamouth. It's nice to see people roll their windows down in 30 degree weather to hear the car rumble, and i dont even have a cam!
Old 11-30-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I second the sweet thunder idea.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Sweet thunder mufflers flow like chit compared to the XR1, but if price is an issue then a few ponies isn't that bad.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for the Borla XR-1. I just had one welded on to the I pipe of my Borla catback because the rasp was unbearable after bolting up some PaceSetter LTs and ORY.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

What really pisses me off was the previous owner of the car just emailed me back today verifying that he did indeed install a borla XR-1 in place of the resonator on my LM exhaust. Not happy about this...
Old 11-30-2004, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Sweetthunder made a big difference in sound when it replaced the resonator in my LOUDMOUTH. I don't however have LT on my TA yet.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
What really pisses me off was the previous owner of the car just emailed me back today verifying that he did indeed install a borla XR-1 in place of the resonator on my LM exhaust. Not happy about this...
and its gone now? thats fucked up man. i'd definitely go back and threaten some legal action if you don't get a muffler back, and free install. especially since you have the previous owner to verify the car had the muffler on it. thats some serious bullshit.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

the shop is a sponsor of a local fbody board I am a member of and he has a good reputation there and he is friends with the owner of the board whom I personally met myself and is a nice guy. I am very surprised at the whole thing but there was other things that took place that I didn't like either.

For example after the install i asked you put my old parts in the car right? (he installed LS6 intake, LT's, ory and removed air and egr-I previously had JBA stainless shorties onthe car) and he said no, you want them?? I am like uhh yeah. he kinda talked me out of the other stuff but I did take the JBA's back. He made it seem like the shorties were worthless. Worthless my a$$, they cost like $700 new! I sold the JBA's for $240 just a week ago.

I think this is a trick a lot of shops do is downplay the parts they take off and thats part of their business reselling parts.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

like i said dude, get your muffler back. thats straight up bullshit. since he's a sponser of the board, he should be interested in resolving it quickly. don't go around trashing his name unnecissarily, but they should have more interest in taking care of their customers than that. sounds like they just wanted to steal you blind personally.....
Old 11-30-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
like i said dude, get your muffler back. thats straight up bullshit. since he's a sponser of the board, he should be interested in resolving it quickly. don't go around trashing his name unnecissarily, but they should have more interest in taking care of their customers than that. sounds like they just wanted to steal you blind personally.....
I don'[t plan on mentioning who it is. i can't be sure of anything. The guy could very well be totally innocent and some weird circumstances took place or maybe one of his workers pulled something behind his back, who knows. Please understand I am not saying he did anythwing wrong as I can't be sure. I emailed the board owner asking his advice on how to go about it and I am awaiting his response. Like i said this shop owner has a GREAT reputation and is very well liked, and from meeting him he is a very nice, down to earth guy. The whole thing baffles me.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

its all good. but he's responsible for what goes down in his shop(even if he didn't do it...he should find out what DID happen). it sounds like he's a good guy. lemme know how it turns out!
Old 11-30-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

The easiest and cheapest way to get rid of the rasp and make a LM sound great is to install a cheap, generic, round body glasspack muffler in the driver's side tailpipe in the location of the stock muffler, crossways between the two sides of the car. This really is a poor man's Borla in that half the exhaust flow goes out the right tailpipe with no restrictions and the other half flows through the muffler and then out the left tailpipe. The rasp is gone, the loudness is reduced, and it sounds great. It cost me less than $50 to do it and it worked perfect. I did it because the resonance and the loudness of the LM at a 70 mph cruise would cause your teeth to hurt!