Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, really getting concerned/pissed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Angry OK, really getting concerned/pissed...

About 6 months ago, I started getting this loud thumping/bumping under my car when i would accellerate from a stop (put a good amount of load on the rear). Well, since then, I've upgraded my clutch among other things and now it is worse than ever, especially if starting uphill. Whenever I start going and put a load of stress on the rear (uphill start, lauching quikcly) it makes a really loud banging that i can clearly feel. Anyone else have this problem? I've had my gears checked out (no missing teeth) and the exhaust is supposedly not loose. What else could it be??
Old 11-30-2004, 03:31 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming you checked the tranny mount and torque arm mt when you did the clutch right? Could be one of those. If it was your motor mount you'd hear that from the front so prob not that.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, your trans mount is possibly broken and the tailshaft of the trans is hitting the floor pan when you accelerate.

Mike
Old 11-30-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

How does that happen?? But, yea, that definitely sounds like it could be it. Cuz like I say, it's only under a load. It won't happen if i'm starting off downhill or on pretty flat terrain. About how much is this gonna set me back? And anything I can do to further prevent it from happening in the future?
Old 11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It happens because part of it is made out of materials that are somewhat strong but that absorb vibrations. (rubber, poly, and such)
It could have torn or you could have the bolts broken.
It is a common problem, especially on the older cars.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any ideas on the cost for replacement thought? Much labor involved?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:11 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I believe a stock replacement mount at the dealer is around 70-80 bucks. It's pretty easy to change the tranny mount as well. You could also look into a poly trans mount and save money. I haven't heard of anyone breaking a poly trans mount on our cars yet. It will add some vibration.
As for labor, a shop shouldn't charge you more than an hours labor. I've swapped mine in less than 20 minutes.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you have the ability, by all means do the install yourself. its stupid simple. go poly, they're great quality and will stop your problems. another thing i didn't see mentioned was just having the bolt holes stripped in the mounts....i think thats my problem. we'll find out when she gets back from the shop.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Make damn sure your Y-pipe is not hitting. I imagine a motor mount problem could cause the engine to twist more under load and cause the driver's side exhaust to come up and smack the floor. Worth investigating...
Old 12-01-2004, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

The same thing is happeneing to my car, and when i have my car on the shifter i can feel the tranny move, is this the tranny mount more then anything else? the car is still under warrenty should i take it to the dealership, or should i just do it myself and get the good stuff.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Launching!

It's really easy to do. Put the car on jack stands. Unbolt the trans mount from the crossmember and use a jack to raise the tail of the trans up enough to remove the bolts holding the mount to the trans and remove the mount. Reverse procedure to install. Tighten the mount to trans bolts to ~36lb ft and the mount to crossmember nut to ~77lb ft.

Poly mounts are strong but understand they will transmit more noise and vibration into the passenger compartment. Something to consider if that kind of thing annoys you. If not, it's the way to go.

Mike
Old 12-02-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm just looking to get rid of this insane banging that is going on. I'm just looking for the best cure for that.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:38 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the mounts like everyone else mentioned. Also take a look at your shocks.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SidewaysTA
It's really easy to do. Put the car on jack stands. Unbolt the trans mount from the crossmember and use a jack to raise the tail of the trans up enough to remove the bolts holding the mount to the trans and remove the mount. Reverse procedure to install. Tighten the mount to trans bolts to ~36lb ft and the mount to crossmember nut to ~77lb ft.

Poly mounts are strong but understand they will transmit more noise and vibration into the passenger compartment. Something to consider if that kind of thing annoys you. If not, it's the way to go.

Mike
Do i HAVE to tighten them EXACTLY to that?? cause i don't have a torque wrench.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"cause i don't have a torque wrench"

Well go buy one, because if you plan on doing work on these ( or any ) cars it is a necessity.

Buy the Sears craftsman model; I bought one from Lowes that only lasted a year because I was cheap. Seriously for $70 it will be worth it.

On the subject of the title, one I replaced my motor mounts and tranny mount with poly, ALL banging went away.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Well, I suppose it's best to torque them to specs. It's not as critical as say tightening head bolts so if you are good at estimating you can do it without a torque wrench. The main thing is not to get carried away with the mount to trans bolts since the trans case is aluminum.

Mike

Last edited by SidewaysTA; 12-02-2004 at 11:58 PM.