Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a tune?

The car is a 98. I just put on a set of thunder racing long tubes, hooker y-pipe, and a ls6 intake this past weekend. The car doesnt want to start up like normal. I have to give it gas just for it to start up.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those mods shouldn't be causing you this problem, but yes, it sounds like you need to do some tuning.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

first i would try a pcm relearn. disconnect the battery for 15 mins or so, then reconnect it. your car will start up and run like ****, missing and everything, but should slowly get better. let it run for ~5-10 mins til it seems to be idling well, then go drive it around gently until she regains most of her street manners, and give her some serious wide open throttle runs. this entire process will wipe your pcm's temporary learned tables, and make it re-learn the tables. hopefully it will solve your problem.

after that, check for intake leaks, and make sure your brake booster cable is hooked up. i had idle issues when i first started my car after i installed an ls6 intake, but thats cuz the brake booster line wasn't connected in the back. once that was on, she purred like a kitten hope this helps!!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks cyphur. I went out and saw I had a sensor that was broken also. The coolant temp sensor. Then I unplug the battery cables. Then it started right up. So I think that it was the coolant temp sensor that was broken, thats why it didnt start up.