Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

borla ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default borla ?

i have a 2001 trans am with a borla catback, what if i were to remove the muffler and put a 3'' pipe in its place? would that have any gains at the track? also how loud or raspy would it be?
Old 12-01-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
i have a 2001 trans am with a borla catback, what if i were to remove the muffler and put a 3'' pipe in its place? would that have any gains at the track? also how loud or raspy would it be?
Don't do that...That would be the same exact thing as having an SLP Loudmouth system or straight pipes...If you're already running the Borla wide-open or close to it, you won't gain anything at the track...Sound will be similar too, but more unrefined (as nothing at all will be able to go through any muffler). As long as your running cats, the rasp would be minimal either way. Honestly though, I wouldn't cut up such an expensive and nice system for no gains and a similar if not worse sound IMO...At least Borla has a unique tone (love it or hate)

Keep your Borla in this case dude!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Don't do that...That would be the same exact thing as having an SLP Loudmouth system or straight pipes...If you're already running the Borla wide-open or close to it, you won't gain anything at the track...Sound will be similar too, but more unrefined (as nothing at all will be able to go through any muffler). As long as your running cats, the rasp would be minimal either way. Honestly though, I wouldn't cut up such an expensive and nice system for no gains and a similar if not worse sound IMO...At least Borla has a unique tone (love it or hate)

Keep your Borla in this case dude!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't do that to a BORLA. just get a cutout or two and put them on the y-pipe.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

its pointless, thats why its adjustable.