Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT hedders w/ just bullets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT hedders w/ just bullets?

Anyone here run LT hedders w/ a dynomax bullet off each hedder w/ a turndown? Would this hurt power cuz im thinking of doing it on my Trans am w/ Pacesetter LTs.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be better if you used a X pipe.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

It would be loud as hell and vibrate everything in your car! You should look into TSP's dual system. It sounds mean as hell and it feels like I gained a ton of torque. I can't recall anyone doing bullets right of the header, but you could be the first! If you do it, keep us posted.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

i might be doin the same thing. let me know how it turns out
Old 12-03-2004, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Open headers are LOOOOOOOOUD. Also, I don't believe you could fit bullet mufflers directly after the header. If you look underneath the pasenger side of the car there is a section of the bottom of the car that is behind the collector of a longtube header, right where the factory Y-pipe is crushed for clearance. To get 3" pipe under that it has to be bent down, you can see it if you look at pics of someone's setup. You'd probably have to start the bullet behind that location at the earliest.
That is just my guess though, and I do not personally recall anyone trying that. X-pipe with cutouts to open headers maybe???

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 12-03-2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:59 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its been done, i believe one of the drag mods ran it
Old 12-04-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

This 95z28 i just bought from my friend used to have bullets right off his hedders(they're BBK shorities so he had to get a custom pipe angled downward to conect the hedder and bullet)) and it sounded awesome but yes, he did say it was loud as hell. All he had was that and other usual bolt-ons and he ran a 13.1@108mph with a 2.1 60ft at Mason-dixon dragway in maryland). Now it has a catted y and flowmaster exhaust. Im gonna try it on my TA as soon as my pacesetters get here and ill let yall know what its like & try and take some pics to post up. Anyway, we'll see how it goes.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
I think it would be better if you used a X pipe.
I have his x-pipe
Old 12-04-2004, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

Yes you do , if my idea turns out to suck then ill just have to get another x-pipe fromTSP or have 1 built by Futral
Old 12-04-2004, 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wicked_Hugger99
Yes you do , if my idea turns out to suck then ill just have to get another x-pipe fromTSP or have 1 built by Futral
Have at it man..
Just be ready for the fumes. Also, don't leave anything in your center console because it will be rattled to hell.

If you get past the fumes, vibrations, and drone, then you have to deal with the cops for noise. Let us know how it turns out..
Old 12-04-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think a better idea would be running a x-pipe w/o mufflers. I heard it yesterday on magret2001vette's z28 camaro. He ran 3" pipes straight to the axle, and just left em. No turn downs, nothin. Sounds badass!! No restriction of the mufflers but you also gain the scavanging effects of the x-pipe.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you are gonna drag the heck out of them bullets and like someone else said

the driver side header exits at an angle away from the car and its gonna get stupid real quick if you put a bullet off the end of it cuz its gonna be close to coming out of the car
Old 12-04-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Here is a pic from ls1sounds.com. It shows what Im talking about, but this guy actually put a bend in his pipe to keep it from coming out the side of the car. You cant really tell from the pic but the driver side has been bent down to clear the floorboard. And notice which side has been drug so much it looks like its about to wear through the bullet. Im not sure but goig by the skinies in the front it looks like its a drag car so Imagine the trouble you would get into by driving it on the street.

This is THE place to look for the best exhaust info for our cars. I used it over and over until I dreamed about it before making my decision to go with duals.

Go HERE to see the picture.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Ok ok another x-pipe it is!!!!! Thanks for the input guys, saved me from a dumb mistake!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Launching!

With pacesetter LT's and 12 inch bullets it doesnt come out of the car, does not drag at stock height.....and I've heard X pipes that are louder.

It sounds sweet, runs great, and is ultra light weight......Here's my opinion.....

Do the LT's and bullets FIRST......because you will have to have the bullets if you have a custom xpipe built anyways, so why not? all you do is clamp them to the headers and put a bracket over the one on the driver's side to keep it from hitting the bottom of the car like the ORYP does. You got nothin to lose

Dont get me wrong......its loud, but if you're considering an X pipe then this wont be out of line for what you want, its lighter weight, cheaper, sounds sweet.....and if you put turn downs on it kinda angled outwards then the fumes arent that bad inside. I'd say no worse than an xpipe
Old 12-04-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

You cant just put a bullet on the end of the driver side header. Try it and you will find out that the header exits higher than the highest point on the driver side if that makes any sense.

Put it this way. If you were to take a bullet, or even a straight piece of 3" pipe, and hold it all the way against the floor of the car where the indention is for clearance and then slide the pipe toward the header until it hits it, its going to be lower than the collector is. You will have to have some sort of bend in it to clear the bottom of the car. I have already tried a 3" piece of pipe and it aint even close so I can imagine how far off a 4" round bullet would be. And after that bend you will need another bend to make the bullet go straight back instead of an angle because if it deosnt stick out of the car its gonne be dang close. My car was on jackstands for 2 weeks straight while I was working on the exhaust system I built and I have studied the underside of these cars enough to give some good advice. If you look at the pic in the post above you will see that this guys put a bend in his pipe and the bullet still comes close to the side of the car.

As for dragging, you might get away with it if you drive your car like its the last car left on the planet. You can hang up ever going over a speed bump.

And lastly even if you can get around the dragging and bending, this **** is gonna run you outta the car. Your whole *** is gonna feel like are riding down a bumpy road from the percussion coming off the bullets even with turn downs(outs).

Im spending so much time typing this only to give advice because I thought it out long and hard. I spent alot of time under the car looking at what will work and what the trade offs would be. The dual x pipe setup is not that loud IF you do your tailpipes right.

B.T.W. Me, my wife and daughter just rode over to some friends house and there is 0 exhaust smell in the car. Zilch!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Okay....there are 2 cars that are running around here just fine with this setup. The bullets angle slightly down and hook directly to the header....the guy with the smaller cam's exhaust is not very loud at all. you can still listen to the radio fine, drive down the road without ANY percussion or vibrating. His dash doesnt even rattle and its an auto.

Granted I didnt put my own car on jackstands for 2 weeks and try to figure out how to get it to work, but I DID clamp a set of bullets to a good friend of mines car in about 20-30 minutes and it works fine.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:20 AM
TECH Addict

Once the pacesetters get here, ill put em on and then get the car on my bros lift. I have some 12in bullets off my other FMS x-pipe that got crushed during my accident, so ill use those and see if it'll work( was also considering those purple hornies hedder mufflers that have 3in turndowns) If not ill learn the hard way and then just get futral to make an x-pipe for it. If it does work but turns out to rattle the hell outta everything then ill take em off and toss on an x-pipe. I figured it would work since the 95 Z i just bought from my buddy did on his and it sounded awesome so i figured id like to give it a shot w/ my TA. Anyway, ill let yall know what happens here in the next week or two!
Old 12-05-2004, 04:22 AM
Launching!

Just a heads up, those purple hornies are pretty long compared to a bullet, and they will probably drag (cause it has to be angled down)

Full-Force is definitely right about the floorboard of the car....right after the header it slopes down and then flattens out, so if you connect the bullet straight to the header then you cant make it hug the bottom of the car perfectly. It has to angle down slightly and i think the purple hornie wouldnt have a chance of fitting because of its length.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

yea another friend of mine told me the same thing so im gonna pass on those...Thanks for telling me though! Im just gonna try the bullets and if they dont work ill just learn the hard way, then just go do the x-pipe