Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 foot header extension with a 12'' bullet off of each

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 12:53 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1 foot header extension with a 12'' bullet off of each

has any body ever put a 1 foot extention off of each header and then slapped a bullet on the end...I look at the true dual setups and it looks like it cramps the torque arm...i was just wondering why you had to have the X-pipe ( i wasn't sure if the X helped back pressure..or if you even needed it)...seems to me it would sound really good with 1 bullet off of each header...

please post pictures if you have them

Thanks,

Tyler
Old 12-04-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the x or y pipe equals pressure for both sides or engine. When i did my exhaust I started it a few times open header and it was choppy when I instaled the y pipe the engine ran alot smoother even with the cat back off.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:04 PM
7 Second Club

so there is no way possible to run an exhaust like that...yeah after i got my long tubes on I cranked it up it freakin sounded like heaven for the first minute..then it started stalling and crap....

i was just thinking mabey there was hope for something that sounded like open headers...
Old 12-04-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you could run an open ory with a turn down on the end. That will sound like beast too
Old 12-04-2004, 01:12 PM
7 Second Club

yeah...that would sound mean...but wouldn't it flop around at the end...i just want something that is quiet enough when driving "normally" past a cop he wouldn't pull me over....

if you have to equalize pressure then how do the dual cut-outs work? they come right off of headers don't they?

sorry for so many questions just interested.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

x-pipes are used to scavange the exhaust via the pulses in the motor. w/o, you'll be losing torque. thats why people with true duals often run the torque arms that still connect to the tranny, or custom rigs.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all you will drag the bullets all the time. Second of all it is going to be hella loud inside the car, way too loud for my taste and I like it loud. I dont think you will be loosing much if any power by not having the x and just 2 straight pipes with bullets. The duals do come close to the torque arm but so what? It doesnt hurt anything.

Also, you dont have a straight shot behind the headers that is the length of a bullet + a 1 foot extension. It has to bend out and then back in and down a little also, atleast on the driver side. Its just a bad idea anyway you slice it.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

That is my racing setup when mufflers are required. Very loud and tends to drag a lot, like when loading the car on the trailer. And that is with the left bullet so close to the body I had to stick some rubber in there to keep it from banging and causing knock retard.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thats your car?

if so would it be safe to say that you would not recommend that setup for the street?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:51 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by critter
That is my racing setup when mufflers are required. Very loud and tends to drag a lot, like when loading the car on the trailer. And that is with the left bullet so close to the body I had to stick some rubber in there to keep it from banging and causing knock retard.
could you get some pics posted on here by chance...just want to see what it looks like

what about a sound clip?
Old 12-04-2004, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
yeah...that would sound mean...but wouldn't it flop around at the end...i just want something that is quiet enough when driving "normally" past a cop he wouldn't pull me over....
Open headers with bullet mufflers is going to draw every cop in the county. If you tried to softpeddle past a cop with that setup, the low frequency pulses alone might make his ticket book start vibrating on the seat.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
thats your car?

if so would it be safe to say that you would not recommend that setup for the street?
Not sure who you are talking to, but it if is me, I would definately not recommend that setup for the street. I have run on the street breaking in a new rear end or whatever.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
could you get some pics posted on here by chance...just want to see what it looks like

what about a sound clip?
Sorry, I didn't take any pix of the bullets. Nor did I take a clip. It was bad enough that I built duals with and X using Hooker Aerochamber mufflers for street use. 25 miles to work with the bullets would leave my ears ringing.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

here's my open headers vs 3" dual dyno.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/144332-open-headers-vs-true-duals-383-a.html

Quick Reply: 1 foot header extension with a 12'' bullet off of each