Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Blade is scraping the side wall

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Throttle Blade is scraping the side wall

The throttle blade on my MTI TB is scraping the side wall just before closing all the way. This I found out because when I come to a stop light and put it in nuetral the car Idles way to high I got out and popped the hood and pushed it down with my hand using minimal force but you could feel it slightly scraping. It sticks about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch from being totally shut. If I give it a couple revs in neutral sometimes it will shut. It is not dirty at all for I have just cleaned it. How do I fix this. I searched of course, but came up with nothing that resembles my exact problem. It seems like it is rubbing on the passenger side. Do I actually need to take the torx screws loose from the blade and shift it over a bit. I hope not cause I can't get them loose.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Here's how I fixed my sticking TB blade. Don't even need to take the thing off the manifold.
1. Loosen the two screws holding the blade to the actuator rod.
2. Open the throttle and stick a paper towel folded in half into the TB between the bottom and the blade.
3. Let the blade close itself, then push against the blade, not the cable actuator, to fully close the blade and adjust the spacing for the towel while tightening the screws. They won't take a lot of torque, but you want them pretty snug.
Worked like a charm for me, but if it doesn't work right away, I have a few variations that might help.
The torx screws are most likely loctited, so yheu will have to be worked free. Try some penetrating oil. I wouldn't worry about breaking the screw, but make sure the bit is fully seatec so you don't strip the head as its is pretty small.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

BadAndy nailed it. I do that method minus the papertowel to set the blades every time after I port a tb to ensure they open/close w/o issue.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Banned

I agree, that is a solid method. I saw a similar instance with another tb, indeed the blade was binding directly against the casing making a tight fit at idle. Fwiw I turned the idle screw 1/8 turn and it went away.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CrvnTransAm
I agree, that is a solid method. I saw a similar instance with another tb, indeed the blade was binding directly against the casing making a tight fit at idle. Fwiw I turned the idle screw 1/8 turn and it went away.
Tighten or loosen which way did you turn it. Thanks
Old 12-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
Tighten or loosen which way did you turn it. Thanks
I increased the idle. Sorry I don't know if that's cw or ccw .
Old 12-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Banned

Went and checked and actually it's cw from the bottom, or ccw from the top .

Last edited by CrvnTransAm; 12-04-2004 at 08:41 PM.