Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed ASP Underdrive Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed ASP Underdrive Pulley

Finally installed my ASP underdrive pulley today, and I have to say using all the tips I learned on here made the install go much easier.

I followed the general instructions from here.

I also used the all thread bolt from Code4

Name:  000_1007.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  44.0 KB

This helped out greatly since it was much safer and also allowed the puller to completely pull the pulley off due to it's extra length.

Put the pulley in front of a space heater for about 10 min and it slid right on.

All told it took about an hour and a half to do the whole install, but I also had the car up on a ramp. That made it a lot easier except for when the ratchet wrench slipped off the pulley puller and I punched myself with a glancing blow. Had to take a half hour time out to ice it down so I didn't get a black eye
Old 12-05-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what is the bolt pictured used for?
Old 12-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
Finally installed my ASP underdrive pulley today, and I have to say using all the tips I learned on here made the install go much easier.

I followed the general instructions from here.

I also used the all thread bolt from Code4

This helped out greatly since it was much safer and also allowed the puller to completely pull the pulley off due to it's extra length.

Put the pulley in front of a space heater for about 10 min and it slid right on.

All told it took about an hour and a half to do the whole install, but I also had the car up on a ramp. That made it a lot easier except for when the ratchet wrench slipped off the pulley puller and I punched myself with a glancing blow. Had to take a half hour time out to ice it down so I didn't get a black eye

Where did you purchase you ASP setup? Also do they have a website? Another thing, it seems like your pretty happy with your setup, did you see a noticible difference in power after you installed it? Just curious about it...Im getting this setup for Christmas. Joel

2001 Camaro SS, t-tops, M6, the works, several boltons
Old 12-05-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by D Rock
So what is the bolt pictured used for?
The all thread rod is used to install the ASP pulley. Instead of pulling the pulley on with the old bolt which only grabs a few threads in the crank, this all thread rod is used. People have stripped the threads out of their crank trying to pull the pulley on with a bolt. The all thread rod allows you to thread it all the way into the crank, then pull the pulley on using the nut.

ssmaro,

I purchased the whole ASP setup excluding the all thread rod assembly from here http://www.tbyrne.com/ls1catalog.html
It included the necessary belts and new crank bolt.
I bought the all thread rod, nut, and washers from a forum member named code4.

I could instantly tell a difference in low speed driving. There was noticably less effort to get the car moving, as in slipping the clutch or reving the engine. I can't feel a huge hp gain, but I can feel the reduced load on the engine due to the slowing of the accesories and lighter pulley. An underdrive pulley nets anywhere from 5-10rwhp on average.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info
Old 12-05-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was going to install my ASP pulley, I just went to the hardware store and bought a bolt one inch larger than the crank pulley bolt, it worked like a charm.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:46 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
ssmaro,

I purchased the whole ASP setup excluding the all thread rod assembly from here http://www.tbyrne.com/ls1catalog.html
It included the necessary belts and new crank bolt.
I bought the all thread rod, nut, and washers from a forum member named code4.
i believe he was wondering if you even had to use the threaded rod/nut/washer at all. looks as if yours just slid right no with no questions asked.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

I ordered my all thread bolt from Code4 today. Seems like a great idea and I don't want to deal with going to the store and trying to find the same bolt as the stock one but longer, etc... Pain in the ars if you ask me. I'd rather just buy his since he was smart enough to come up with the idea.

Quick Reply: Installed ASP Underdrive Pulley