Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody ported the neck of their LS6 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anybody ported the neck of their LS6 intake?

I've tried several searches and i really never got any answers. So has anybody ported the neck of their LS6 intake? I got a good deal on a new 80mm BBK unit and was wondering if i could port match the intake opening to accomodate the larger opening of the throttlebody. Would opening up the intake cause turbulance or would it work without any problems? Pictures would be helpful
Old 12-07-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Com'on, somebodies had to have done this
Old 12-07-2004, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

I think cyphur_traq is in the process of trying that. Maybe he can let you know how its comming.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

i haven't started it yet, but i am going to be trying to port a junk ls1 intake i have laying around. not just the intake mouth tho, i'm going to try and do the whole intake manifold. hit me up with a PM and i'll keep you posted. last exam is tomorrow and after that i won't have **** to do, so i'll be able to get started
Old 12-08-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've done it to a few intakes. It's a plus if you have a larger than 75mm throttle body, which you do. You can port all the way to the seal w/o any issues (78mm max). Anything more and the seal may not sit right which could cause your throttle body to not make a sufficient seal against the intake. Just be CLEAN about it. If the intake is still on the car, stuff in some hand towells to keep the mess contained. Use a vacuum of some sort before and while you're pulling the towells out. The last thing you want is the plastic mess in your combusion chambers. Don't let that scare you, just take your time and use the 'ol noggin.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoseUp
I've done it to a few intakes. It's a plus if you have a larger than 75mm throttle body, which you do. You can port all the way to the seal w/o any issues (78mm max). Anything more and the seal may not sit right which could cause your throttle body to not make a sufficient seal against the intake. Just be CLEAN about it. If the intake is still on the car, stuff in some hand towells to keep the mess contained. Use a vacuum of some sort before and while you're pulling the towells out. The last thing you want is the plastic mess in your combusion chambers. Don't let that scare you, just take your time and use the 'ol noggin.
got any pictures? And what do you mean by the TB not sealing right on the intake?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have sort of an o-ring type of seal that seals the TB to the intake. I don't see that any pics would be needed. It's a pretty self-explanitory task...Just remove your TB and you'll see what I mean. Very simple job