Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Flowmaster 80 Series or Hooker Aerochamber) & !CATS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default (Flowmaster 80 Series or Hooker Aerochamber) & !CATS

This may be a dumb question but right now for my exhaust i have stock manifolds, !CATS, 80 Series flowmaster, it sounds alright, but "airey", i dont have much money for many mods until the summer, im a student and i barely have enough for food, gas, rent, school, & bills, but someone in my club is selling a hooker aerochamber muffler w/2.5" inlets/outlets, i heard the the flowmaster flows horribly, will the aerochamber sound/flow better than the flowmaster? Thanks
Old 12-07-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a cutout that would be your best bet.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
This may be a dumb question but right now for my exhaust i have stock manifolds, !CATS, 80 Series flowmaster, it sounds alright, but "airey", i dont have much money for many mods until the summer, im a student and i barely have enough for food, gas, rent, school, & bills, but someone in my club is selling a hooker aerochamber muffler w/2.5" inlets/outlets, i heard the the flowmaster flows horribly, will the aerochamber sound/flow better than the flowmaster? Thanks
The aero chamber sounds alot better and flows a ton more than the flowmaster.......

Aerochamber all the way......

Cutouts are awesome as well.....
Old 12-07-2004, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

HAve to disagree i love the flowmaster sound. But a cut out would be ur best choice since u already have a flowmaster.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

flow master is way louder than the hooker and has it's own distinct sound that you will not find in any other nuffler, this is because of it's baffles (BUT!) in a couple of years or so maybe more maybe less the baffles rust out and somtimes the cunks will ratlle around inside the exhaust sounding like pops and backfires, Also they flow like **** as stated above, at least there cross flow 80 sereis for our cars do. I would reccomend going with a magnaflow muffler and splice it in if you are not wanting to get the whole catback. I had the flowmaster, loved the sound for 2 years and then it went kaput, hooker was way to quiet for me. I bought the muffler in stainless steel that they use on the v6 catbacks cause it is smaller and smaller is louder of course. I got it for less than 100 dollars shipped and it is a mirror finish and it is the exact same muffler that they use in there catbacks. you can check out how mine sounds it at ls1sounds it is the first one under magnaflow I have not ran across anyone else on this board that has tried what I did. Don't mind the flames shooting from my tailpipes. I will say that I am pretty pleased with this set up and it sounded better after about a week.
If I do another one to expierement with before I go headers and duals it would probably be ditch the muffler and put a sweetthunder in the I-pipe and then y-off out the back with towo tips, basically a LM design with a sweetthunder in place of the resonator.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One more vote for the hooker or cut out. I had the flowmaster with stock exhaust and changed to lts ory and the hooker catback all at once so i cant say the hooker is quieter than the flow master because it's loud as hell now.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C_B64

Aerochamber all the way......
i have the areo chamber, used to have a flowmaster, 3" 40 series single outlet though. the sound and looks of the hooker destroy the flows. go hooker.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

I've had Flowmaster 80 on two previous T/A's ('94 and '99). I put the Hooker catback,which I believe has the Aeorchamber, on my '02. I've heard the Flowmaster doesn't flow that well and I know it is louder especially in the drivers seat, the Hooker sounds awesome from outside the car. I'll never go back to Flowmaster.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

MAN I AM IN THE SAME SITUATION THAT YOUR ARE IN WHAT EVER YOU DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT GET THAT ****** HOOKER AEROCHAMER MUFFLER YOU WILL BE MADDER THAN A FAGGAT WITH LOCK JAW ON ST VAL DAY
I HAD THAT MUFFLER ON A 91 Z28 350 CID TPI I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN
Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

...but someone in my club is selling a hooker
I thought I read that at first.

J/k

I would go with the hooker aerochamber muffler as well. A buddy of mine has one on his LT1 and sounds good.
Im sure it would sound good coming from a LS1 too.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

GET A CUTOUT! But if ya change the muffler get the hooker.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We all know it doesn't flow like the other catbacks, but you can get a cut-out if you want flow. I had many complements on my Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, but it just wasn't loud enough for me. Save for headers and true duals, don't invest in another catback. You'll be glad you did.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

I have a cut out, but w/no cats its freakin loud, and raspy, so i need something for the exhaust to flow through normally that sounds good, how much quieter will the hooker be? i looked on ls1sounds but i couldnt really tell
Old 12-07-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

I have the Hooker cat-back on my 02 Z and love the sound. Truthfully, when I started it behind the Y-pipe to hear the sound (still have stock manifolds and cats), revved it up, then finished the install, it sounded just as loud, except for the resonance in side. No rasp, just all rumble. I love the hooker kit. Believe me, I spent ALOT of time on LS1sounds.com.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Would it still sound good with no cats?
Old 12-07-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

check sig sounds great without cats
Old 12-07-2004, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

As long as it sounds good w/stock manifolds, y-pipe, and !CATS i think i'll get it, then save for a verter and headers later

Quick Reply: (Flowmaster 80 Series or Hooker Aerochamber) & !CATS