Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "just installed my LT's thread"

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Another "just installed my LT's thread"

Well with the use of a lift that cost me $24 for the day on base at the auto hobby shop I tore out all the stock crap and installed my Pacesetters with ORY by myself all in only 5 hours. Once the stock crap was out the headers slid right in without touching anything (didn't remove oil filter, didn't touch steering knuckle, didn't knotch k-member or cut the tab on the block). These newer design headers are great fitment wise. The y-pipe on the other hand is trash. It's really close under the driver's seat and I feel some banging but I can fix that tomorrow. I'm just glad to be done! Sounds better through the Magnaflow than before and the cutout is freakin' loud but I want open header-loud which means I'll be moving the cutout behind the passenger collector and adding another behind the driver's collector. When I started her up without the Y on it was freakin' bad-aaassssssssssssssss!! Thanks for all the how-to's and I didn't post any questions b/c I found EVERYTHING with the search tool. Thanks for all the helpful posts from the past!!! Now I just need to find about 8 bandaids for my hands.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you go about finding the shop that would let you rent out their lift? I would love to do something like that for my header install, sounds like it makes life much easier.

Glad you like them, I cant wait to install mine.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

ya i wish i could find rent-a-lift around hear.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice man.. I use military hobby shop here like every other day. Gotta love the perks..

How are the shops there in San Diego? I'll be arriving there in Jan. I'm pretty sure that it's alot bigger than the ones here.

What service are you in?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't rent a lift from a shop I used the auto hobby shop on the naval base here in San Diego. Definitely made the install VERY much easier than on jackstands. I had a '93 Z28 I did on jackstands and it sucked. The hobby shop on the naval base (32nd street) has lots of bays and about 4 outdoor lifts plus 2 or 3 indoor. They also have every tool you want if you need them. I was proud of myself for getting all the way through using tools I brought with me except I had to borrow a deep 15mm socket for the stock y-pipe to manifold bolts. I'm actually transferring in January to Charleston for school. Not going to miss the California emissions!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red99TA
I didn't rent a lift from a shop I used the auto hobby shop on the naval base here in San Diego. Definitely made the install VERY much easier than on jackstands. I had a '93 Z28 I did on jackstands and it sucked. The hobby shop on the naval base (32nd street) has lots of bays and about 4 outdoor lifts plus 2 or 3 indoor. They also have every tool you want if you need them. I was proud of myself for getting all the way through using tools I brought with me except I had to borrow a deep 15mm socket for the stock y-pipe to manifold bolts. I'm actually transferring in January to Charleston for school. Not going to miss the California emissions!
How many times did you smog while you were there? I'm headed to USS Cleveland on 32nd St. My car has been tamed down alot for the trip over to Cali. Still has heads and cam, but other than that. She's a kitten now..
Old 12-10-2004, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, gotta love the perks of the military

I did mine on a lift at the base hobby shop too. I think my QTP's took 6 hours total, getting hung up on getting the old crap off.

Congrats on the LTs!!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

sweet, How long ago did pacesetter re-design them?

Who did you buy them from?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

I got the headers from Texas-Speed. I know they only stock the newer design which came out many months ago (not sure exactly but it's been quite a while). My car was smogged stock right when I bought it and then I went to get my military decal (can't get one here w/out smog). I think you're required to resmog every 2 years...I know it's not annually though. Since my family lives in Kansas I'm going to swap to KS plates because they don't check emissions at all there. I might run into a problem next year when my parking decal expires. Maybe then I'll just buy a beater daily driver to pass smog wherever I live in the country at that time.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

awesome, i was curious to know if Texas Speed carried the new design .... looks like ill be calling them soon to get my xmas shopping for my car done
Old 12-11-2004, 10:12 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats, I wasn't so lucky today. Got all the old stuff off just fine, but can't get it high enough in the air with my jack and jack stands. Gonna have it taken to More Perf. on Monday and have them button it all back together.