Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air pump whinning noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air pump whinning noise

I have a 98 LS1 and recently noticed a whining noise when the air pump comes on. It does it only after I have driven it, let it set, then start it up again. Took it to the chevy dealer and they indicated that it's within specifications. There's no SES light. Any thoughts? Perhaps it's something else?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

It might be coming from your power steering pump.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Or your check valves may be starting to go(Clog up)on the A.I.R.system.When my check valves went the pump starting whining more for a couple of weeks before I got a SES light.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

My AIR pump whinned before I removed all of that stuff. That was one of the big reasons I removed it. Whenever the damn car was cold it made the car sound like a piece of **** for the first few minutes. I couldnt stand it.

I did notice that it only whinned when the car was ideling. As soon as I tapped the gas it would quite down. It seemed like when there was pressure in the line the electric AIR motor was laboring to push the air, but when you revved it the exhaust would sorta suck the air on its own and the AIR pump would not make noise. But who knows?

Anyhow, my recomendation is remove it and have the codes edited out!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I think its normal for it to whine on startup for awhile. I did away with it when I did my LT's.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

removal is simple, take down the left skidplate section infront of the tire, theres 4 13m bolts, one electrical connection, and two hoses. One hose goes up to the air lid, the other goes to the valve on the back of the block on the driver side. Remove that valve and the electrical connections. THere are two more 3/4 hoses that come off of that valve, they go to both manifolds. You will need to block off the caps with covers and copper RTV. The two hoses connect to the egr pump on the passenger side, remove that and unplug the connector. THen, you need to make a cap to fill in the hole on the intake manifold. No more emmisions, no more noise. THis will throw about 5 SES codes thought, but it cleans up the engine bay big time. IF not, i still have my old one if you want to send a PM