Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Headers......good and bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks Headers......good and bad?

I'm looking into buying a set of Kooks 1 7/8 SS headers and I would like to know what everyones experience is with them. There is very little actual information on this board. I have SLP headers presently and I'm not happy with how low they sit under the car. I had to weld a skid pad on the bottom of the collectors. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

kooks are top of the line
Old 12-19-2004, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 00ls1
kooks are top of the line
+1
Old 12-19-2004, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

Old 12-19-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seems like there are fads on LS1 headers. I remember a time when Grots where the top dog. Then I hear a bunch of good stuff on TTS, then FLP, then JetHot's redesign of the Hooker header, then QTP and now the Grot-knockoff Kooks headers.

The reality is that every header manufacturer (or reseller) has a list of unhappy customers and a long list of very satisified customers. All of our cars are just a little different from the factory and it doesn't take much to make our headers a PITA to put in or to keep from banging something.

OTOH, SLP longtube headers have never been on the top of anyone's list who has been around the LS1 community or installed them on at least 1 f-car.

I'd say dump the SLPs and get whatever header is the cheapest from the ones listed above.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Teching In

I agree with you Jason. Since I'm in the process of putting my 427 together I thought I might as well make the "step up" to a better header. I like the 1 7/8 size and the welds look top notch. I read somewhere heat is a issue with the SS. Is this a correct statement? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

I love my Kooks. The only issue I, and many others have, is the damn off road y banging on the floor board. Some 1" heater hose took care of that.

As far as the heat thing goes. Coating headers serves two purposes.

1. To keep exhaust temps higher, giving the gasses a higher velocity, thus allowing them to escape more quickly.

2. To keep cheap mild steel headers from rusting.

The first purpose is the most important, but as many have said before, the difference in HP gains between the various headers out there ranging from mild steel, to coated, to stainless are negligible.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Launching!

So I too am about to get Kooky, and I have a couple more Q's...
How easy are they to install on a TA...do they fit, or do they need to be made to fit with a little bending and tweaking?
With the whole heat issue, would coated be better than stainless?
Are you going to get banging with the Catted Y pipe....
Most imporantly what else do I need....O2 sensors, exenders?
And who has them for the best price....i want them!!

Sank you!
Old 12-19-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kooks aren't just a fad, nor are QTP. If you want top notch, high quality parts, for headers thats where its at. SS headers last forever, and the workmanship on my Kooks headers are great. No doubt they'll last me through whatever, til whenever. Well worth the money if you're lookin for no worries, great fitment and outstanding quality.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CLIFFRSRAMAIR
I'm looking into buying a set of Kooks 1 7/8 SS headers and I would like to know what everyones experience is with them. There is very little actual information on this board. I have SLP headers presently and I'm not happy with how low they sit under the car. I had to weld a skid pad on the bottom of the collectors. Thank you!
I will tell you in about two days. I just got the same ones and presently have the same as you also. I'll pm you when I'm done.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive got a set of Kook 1 3/4 stepp to 2 inch with 3 1/2 collectors for sale stainless for 900 right now I need to move them. If you know anyone needing them point them in my directions please.

Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've installed QTP and they are no better then a half dozen other header brands. They are somewhat unique because they are offered in stainless. OTOH, some would argue that stainless is a poor choice over coated mild steel. In any event.... get which ones you like. They'll all get the job done.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tech
OTOH, some would argue that stainless is a poor choice over coated mild steel. In any event.... get which ones you like. They'll all get the job done.
Stainless being a poor choice over coated headers? For who? I'd like to hear your reasoning, honestly I'm curious. I don't see any downside to SS headers, from any good vendor, besides the hit on the bank you'll take. Good investment in my eyes, coating can erode......SS doesn't go anywhere
Old 12-20-2004, 02:12 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

QTPs rock!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even the SLP LT's are great quality they just hang too low and are a bitch to install and they are stainless & coated, you can never go wrong with stainless. SLP LT's make good power through the low and mid range power band some other LT's will make a little more up top. My next set though will be QTP's or Kook's.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shippershack
So I too am about to get Kooky, and I have a couple more Q's...
How easy are they to install on a TA...do they fit, or do they need to be made to fit with a little bending and tweaking?
The fit on my Kooks was amazing and they were extremely easy to install compared to the SLPs I installed/removed from my vehicle...I don't want to sound like an SLP-basher, though, their headers are very high quality...they were just a bit harder to install and they hung too low...
Old 12-20-2004, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

i too switchted headers b4.. it sucks when you buy something.. and then have to re-do it......

i got the QTPs now..... they are awesome..by far the best i have touched
Old 12-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Is there any information about hp gains with Kooks headers? It would be interesting to see. All I know is SLP's drag on the track and bumps in the road. I had to raise my car 1 inch for clearance reasons. Which is crazy!
Old 12-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most headers will result in Y pipe banging, and a catted Y will likely be worse because cats take up more space. Some people will tell you to put heater hose on it or even weld a spring between the pipe and floorboard, but this doesn't fix the problem, only hides the effects. The only real way to stop Y pipe banging is to install poly motor mounts (at least on the driver's side) because they greatly reduce movement of the motor. I highly recommend that you do the motor mounts during the header install with no manifolds/headers in the way, as it makes it slightly less of a PITA.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cm02WS6
Most headers will result in Y pipe banging, and a catted Y will likely be worse because cats take up more space. Some people will tell you to put heater hose on it or even weld a spring between the pipe and floorboard, but this doesn't fix the problem, only hides the effects. The only real way to stop Y pipe banging is to install poly motor mounts (at least on the driver's side) because they greatly reduce movement of the motor.
Or just use 2.5 tubing for the Y pipe, that might work as well.