Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serpentine and cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serpentine and cold weather

Damn freezing here in Chicago today friggin 8 degrees. Went out this morning and started the car heard noise but didnt think nothing, its the morning and my brain was still sleeping... Anyway let it warm up, get in, and check gauge light lit, I look and no alternator charging. Pop the hood and belt was off! Being the moron that I am at that time I get all pissed and just pull the belt out for reinstall not noting what pulley it came off of. Reinstalled, no pulleys seem to be wobbling and tensioner is tight, took couple trips today and no problems. Could it be the freezing weather and snow from last night that seized one of the pulleys up for a second or two and made the belt jump off??? Any help? Thanks!!
Old 12-20-2004, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My belt was inching off by itself in warm weather. I don't think weather has anything to do with it. Maybe the tensioner was not tight enough before.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had a problem with the belt jumping off, and it drove me nuts. Then I saw a magazine article about an LS1 project car where they installed a Katech tensioner, which is solid rather than spring loaded and lets you adjust the belt tension yourself. After I installed it, I never had another problem.