Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP true dual people, i need help!

Old 12-21-2004, 01:39 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question TSP true dual people, i need help!

hey do you guys remove your tunnel brace? my duals are hitting the tunnel brace pretty bad at the x-pipe and i dont think i can adjust them much, it also makes them point down pretty bad.

i removed the brace and they seem to fit a whole lot better, still pointing a bit down though. and BTW, how did you secure the hangers on the exhaust, mine diddnt come with any instructions or hardware to mount them. did you cut a slit in your carpet?

i plan on running my car w/out the front O2 sensors for a few minutes to burn out anything that might clog them up. will it run decently w/out the front O2's plugged in (open loop)?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
hey do you guys remove your tunnel brace?
I removed my tunnel brace.

how did you secure the hangers on the exhaust, mine diddnt come with any instructions or hardware to mount them. did you cut a slit in your carpet?
I pulled the carpert back and drilled four holes, for the hangers, in the floor. Then bolted it up.

i plan on running my car w/out the front O2 sensors for a few minutes to burn out anything that might clog them up. will it run decently w/out the front O2's plugged in (open loop)?
I don't think running without the front O2 sensors is a good idea. The rear ones maybe, but not the fronts. And I don't think anything will clog the O2 sensors up either.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, rip that tunnel brace outta there and turn it into a Christmas tree ornament or something. For the hangers I took out the seats, drilled the holes, and slit the rug and matting to access the bolts. To get the bullets high enough to have any clearance, I had to use my floor jack to force them up and then mount them. I didn't the first time and had the duals ripped off by a speedbump. Not fun. You can see the before and after pics in the link in my sig. As for the O2's, I would leave them in there. I don't see them getting clogged with anything.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:53 AM
That's what she said...

i'm not plannin on running permanantly without front O2's, only for like 30 minutes letting it idle, i heard it was a good idea and sounded good to me. i guess i'll throw 'em in there for startup. plus it looks like i'm going to the hardware store tomrorow for bolts, im going to get some big damn washers too, just to be on the safe side.

thanks for the replies guys, i cant wait to get her fired up. i have to hang the exhaust in the rear, put oil in the engine and trans (note to self: dont forget ), put passenger side coil packs on, tighten driverside header bolts, and put the interior back together. then its time!!
Old 12-21-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, I yanked off my tunnel brace too. But I had an exhaust guy weld my brackets instead of drilling holes.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I took off my tunnel brace and bolted up the hangar brackets.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

i'm not plannin on running permanantly without front O2's, only for like 30 minutes letting it idle, i heard it was a good idea and sounded good to me.

What makes this a good idea? How was it explained to you? I just don't get it.....at all........
Old 12-21-2004, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Any problems with DD subframe connectors interfering with fitment?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

What about driveshaft loops? Don't they usually go in place of the tunnel brace? Can the hanger brackets be welded to the tunnel brace?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:29 PM
That's what she said...

got them on today, they hang pretty low and still need some tweaking. they are hitting on a few things here and there but we will get them worked into shape. they sound fantastic!! nice and mellow when your just creeping around but they sound rediculously good when you rhomp on her.

i flipped my fuel line brackets over to get the lines away from the exhuast, they took some serious CONVINCING, but they went.

i used some 3/8" bolts, some nice big fender washers, and some ny-lock (sp?) bolts on both sides to mount the hangars.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
What about driveshaft loops? Don't they usually go in place of the tunnel brace?
Yes, that is where they usually go.

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
Can the hanger brackets be welded to the tunnel brace?

No, the hanger brackers are welded to the dumps, which are near the axle. If you welded the exhaust to the tunnel brace, you would have no ground clearance at all.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

I took my tunnel brace off way before I got my TSP duals.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:52 PM
That's what she said...

this thing is hitting my floorboard so hard i cant stand it. it sounds like it is about to fall apart, plus its scraping on all kind of stuff. my car isnt lowered at all, but it does have 16" rims and 245/50's on it. are 17's w/ say 275/40's taller? if so how much? i dont know where all my clearance went, i knew it would be low but not this low.

i hope its only hitting on one spot, we diddnt bash the floorboard support in yet, i hope that fixes it. plus i'm going to buy a bunch of band clamps to replace the u-bolts. i love the sound when you rhomp on it, its like nothing ive heard outside of a world of outlaws sprintcar show, but i cant have this bad fitment.

how much are band clamps by the way?
Old 12-22-2004, 06:28 AM
11 Second Club

this thing is hitting my floorboard so hard i cant stand it. it sounds like it is about to fall apart, plus its scraping on all kind of stuff. my car isnt lowered at all, but it does have 16" rims and 245/50's on it. are 17's w/ say 275/40's taller? if so how much? i dont know where all my clearance went, i knew it would be low but not this low.

i hope its only hitting on one spot, we diddnt bash the floorboard support in yet, i hope that fixes it. plus i'm going to buy a bunch of band clamps to replace the u-bolts. i love the sound when you rhomp on it, its like nothing ive heard outside of a world of outlaws sprintcar show, but i cant have this bad fitment.

how much are band clamps by the way?
Decent band clamps are like $10 a piece.

You shouldn't have clearance issues with the TSP Dual system if you aren't lowered. Make sure it is adjusted correctly, as it has the ability to be adjusted to an extreme. You shouldn't have to 'bash' on anything to make it fit.

I have this system and I am stock height, I can go over speed bumps as if I had the stock exhaust still on it. All types of speeds bumps.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Well I do not want to weld the exhaust to the tunnel brace. How do you hang this exhaust? The hangers need to hang off of something. What is this and where does it go? I do not want to drill holes in my car. I want to make sure I know what I am getting into before purchase.
TIA
Old 12-22-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

You're going to have to drill holes for the rear hangers. The only other way we've ever done them is to weld a mounting bracket to the frame rails - near the sway bar mount. Actually - we've used the sway-bar mount bolt to hold a bracket as well. That's the only option besides drilling or welding. It's a custom bracket though.

*TheBlur - I dated a girl from Nederland back in the day. She's a teacher at PNG now! Good luck with the install. Shoulda bought one of mine.... :p
Old 12-22-2004, 10:33 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by Lane
Shoulda bought one of mine....
More people prob would if you paid sponsorship fee's like any other real shop can afford. Don't you still owe TSP for a set of headers?

Spend a few minutes adjusting the fitment and you can get it to clear really well. You can't just slap it on and expect it not to bang though, it does need a little adjusting here and there before even tightening any clamps down. (we recently switched to all band clamps so if you were supposed to get band clamps and didn't just call Jason or Brian)

Also make sure the rear axle has the vehicle weight on it if your using jackstands, having the rear axle drop to full extension will push the x-pipe down. On the mounting brackets use the hole closest to the muffler for the mounting bolt, and drill that into where the two sheet metal panels overlap, there is a couple spot welds in that location. I also add an additonal bolt to each side after its been adjusted. BTW we offer professional installation at our facility for $100, which will guarantee no ground clearance issues.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
More people prob would if you paid sponsorship fee's like any other real shop can afford. Don't you still owe TSP for a set of headers?
Ok smart guy - I was clearly joking... Plus, I was also trying to help out. Geesh, sensitive?

And who are you and what are you talking about - me owing them for a set of headers? PM me please. Or just have Trevor call me - and I will clear this up today. 817-656-3115
Old 12-22-2004, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TheBlurLS1

For my O2's, I bought a propane torch at Lowes for $16. I clean off my O2's with it by putting the O2 in a vice and hitting it in 4 directions for 1 minute a pop. Cleans off any crud. FWIW.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by -Joseph-

Spend a few minutes adjusting the fitment and you can get it to clear really well. You can't just slap it on and expect it not to bang though, it does need a little adjusting here and there before even tightening any clamps down. (we recently switched to all band clamps so if you were supposed to get band clamps and didn't just call Jason or Brian)

Also make sure the rear axle has the vehicle weight on it if your using jackstands, having the rear axle drop to full extension will push the x-pipe down. On the mounting brackets use the hole closest to the muffler for the mounting bolt, and drill that into where the two sheet metal panels overlap, there is a couple spot welds in that location. I also add an additonal bolt to each side after its been adjusted. BTW we offer professional installation at our facility for $100, which will guarantee no ground clearance issues.

You guys rock. I recently chose your TSP ture duals over everyone else. Why? Because you guys are willing to pay so car enthusiast like us can get research about your products on ls1tech.....not just come onto a website to constantly push their products wrongfully like your competitors do...

Jospeh-I've just ordered my cam from Jason at TSP yesterday after hearing about the cam install you did over the weekend. Hopefully, my luck will be as good as yours, and appreciate all the help that you guys have done for me!

Search this Thread