Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

triing to decide about a pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 01:24 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default triing to decide about a pulley

should i get an uderdrive pulley or not. i have a big stereo which draws lots of power. also am concerned about idle quality. i dont want my interior lights dimming at every light.what do you guys think?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:40 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a 6speed, you will be ok with just the underdrive pulley. If you really think you will have problems, then you can always get the alternator overdrive pulley to compensate.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

go for it man.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:47 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
With a 6speed, you will be ok with just the underdrive pulley. If you really think you will have problems, then you can always get the alternator overdrive pulley to compensate.
beat me too.

beside pdd, you'll need the pulley if you want to hit that 500rwhp mark.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:48 AM
Launching!

Your worried about idle quality even after all the mods you have, I think you have probably been through a variety of idle issues. Anyway it shouldnt hurt idle at all, it only slows down your accessories, no tune necessary. Only get the crank underdrive not the alternator. If you are really worried about lights dimming and always want a big charge do what I did get a Optima Yellow top battery and V-Plus Volt Booster. I can run every feature in my car and the needle barely even moves and the lights never dim on anything. The V-Plus Volt Booster will make your alternator put out 2.2 more volts at 70% throttle I believe and give more power to your ignition system, fuel pump, basically anything that is drawing power on WOT blast. Yes it really does work Im glad I bought it.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:51 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

whats the alternator pulley do? keep the regular speed of the alt ? just dont want my idle to suffer
Old 12-22-2004, 02:41 AM
TECH Regular

Basically, by making the crank pulley smaller and lighter, it makes the rest of the accessories turn slower. If you want to make sure your lights don't dim at idle, I'd look at an alt. overdrive pulley.

It's the same concept the '03 Cobra guys use on their factory superchargers - smaller pulley = more RPM's = more horsepower.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

do it man just use the stock alt pulley....i got 2 12" Fosgate HX2's with a healthy fosgate amp its fine unless im trying to make some ricers stereo look stupid then my battery gage sits on 12 volts at that point but normal driving around is not bad