Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Aerochamber is on

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Aerochamber is on

Hello:

I got the muffler carry out from Thunder, $79.99 plus tax, then had Meineke weld it on for $50.00. That's $130, cheaper than a cat-back, but what are my thoughts on the whole thing?

1.Almost as quiet[too quiet] at idle as stock, barks a good bit louder at WOT, the best way to describe it is LOWER frequency rumble than stock, not louder. If you were installing this on a stock non-WS6 or non-SS exhaust and expecting to get more attention, this one is not for you. Loudmouth or Borla/Corsa? with the adjustable plates might be the better choice if you are staying with stock manifolds/cats.

2.More power, not tons on an otherwise stock LS1, oddly enough seems to have a good bit more mid-range power feels about the same or only a little faster at the top end. Now, I can punch it[A4 + 2.73] on a dry concrete roadway at 30 mph and the tires actually spin, NEVER would that before.

3.If you think this thing will pop on with a few clamps, direct fit, GOOD LUCK. The inlet pipe is split so you can slip it over a 2 1/2 stock pipe, but Meineke had to add about a 4 inch piece of pipe onto the stock left tail pipe to get it to line up and hang in the same space as the stock muffler. They say direct fit but IMO no way, no chance in hell.

4.Track times soon to follow, feels like about 0.1 off the 1/4 plus my new ASP, I'll let you know.

5.Looking forward to getting pacesetters.That should make more noise.With PS headers, this thing might be perfect.

6.Thunder said, "get the entire cat-back, you'll gain 14 hp", they may be right, but the difference saved here could go towards an electric cutout or uncoated pacesetters. I figure this muffler got me maybe 10 hp. All in all,not a bad mod.

Mike
Old 12-29-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd say 10hp is somewhat reasonable...get some headers...it will be nice
Old 12-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I felt much the same way about my Hooker when I had it, granted, my car won't be ready until tomorrow with the true duals I had fabbed. The Hooker just wasn't the sound I was going for, and I even had headers. It didn't sound great, but not bad either.

Never heard one with stock manifolds...at least not in person.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my hooker replacement muffler on stock exhaust. Other than buying an extension for the driver side tip I thought it was extremely easy. Took less than an hour. Sound was much better than stock. I absolutely hate the SLP LM sound.

Now that I have an ORY, headers, cam, ... I get some rasp between 1900-2400RPM. I read a lot of complete hooker cat backs do not rasp. I also wonder how much power the stock intermediate pipe is keeping back. But that is what I get for spending like $65 for just the muffler. Above 2400 I love the sound, not as deep as you would think but I like the sound.