Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What all is needed for a true dual setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What all is needed for a true dual setup?

I'm getting conflicting reports, so here's the situation:

I've got a 98 Trans Am with the Intrax lowering springs, so the car sits fairly low. BMR LCAs and relocation brackets are installed. Currently has stock manifolds and a Loudmouth. I'm getting some Grott longtubes, and I want to go true dual when I get the headers on. I can't stand the look of dumped duals on a Trans Am with the gaping holes it leaves in the rear bumper, and with the car lowered there's NO way I'm going under the axle, so I've got to go over the axle.

I'm thinking 3" up to the X-pipe (since the headers have 3" collectors), then reduce to 2.5". Am I going to need the BMR panhard relocation kit to make room over the axle on the passenger side? If so, can I use the stock panhard, or will I need to upgrade to an aftermarket adjustable unit?

The car is my daily driver (excluding these lousy Canadian winters ), and other than that will probably see the dragstrip several times a year, and possibly a couple of Solo1 events next summer.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are some people that will do it, but just not heard of much. Do a huge search and you will find some info that your looking for.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:26 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am picking up my true dual setup today, just as you described. 3" off the collectors into the X, 2.5" to the axle, over, and out the rear. I personally went ahead and got the BMR upper panhard relocation kit, but it was not absolutely essential. It just gave the fabricators more room to work with, which in turn made their jobs easier...somewhat.

If you are going to go this route, don't be surprised if you end up paying $1200+.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Could you post some pics of your setup when you pick it up? What mufflers did you go with?

Not expecting to get the system on the cheap, but I know I won't be satisfied with any other setup, so I figure I might as well do it right the first time.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Croaker
Could you post some pics of your setup when you pick it up? What mufflers did you go with?

Not expecting to get the system on the cheap, but I know I won't be satisfied with any other setup, so I figure I might as well do it right the first time.
I'll get some pics when I get back down to Florida in about a week or so. They used Magnaflow bullets, and it sounds great.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

you can use this one and just modify the front pipes into the x-pipe to fit your headers. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=bassani
Old 12-31-2004, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like it hangs fairly low...and I'm not a huge fan of the two pipes running on one side, either. Thanks anyways though.

FWIW, I've ordered the BMR PHR kit now.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

the lowest point is on the driver's side front pipe at 4.5" above the ground. maybe 1" lower than stock. here's more pics of the system on my car. http://www.stealthram.com/bassanidualexhaust.htm my car is stock height. haven't hit anything with it. been over speed bumps with no scraping. going over the passenger side won't be your problem. the driver's side will be the problem. in the first link is sent you i think on page 3 or 3 there is a picture of another place that went one on each side. they even used the BMR relocation bar.

Last edited by mrr23; 12-31-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Croaker
Am I going to need the BMR panhard relocation kit to make room over the axle on the passenger side? If so, can I use the stock panhard, or will I need to upgrade to an aftermarket adjustable unit?
Since your car is lowered, you need to have an adjustable panhard rod to re-center the rear end. Are you running the stock panhard rod? Going with the PHB relocation kit doesn't make an adjustable PHB necessary, though.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cm02WS6
Since your car is lowered, you need to have an adjustable panhard rod to re-center the rear end. Are you running the stock panhard rod? Going with the PHB relocation kit doesn't make an adjustable PHB necessary, though.
Bought it lowered, and the previous owner mentioned nothing about an aftermarket panhard. The car is tucked pretty tightly away for the winter at the moment, I might get a chance to go look tomorrow.