Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB Fast 90mm or TPIS 90mm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TB Fast 90mm or TPIS 90mm?

TB Fast 90mm or TPIS 90mm?
Which one is the better piece?
Thanks
Old 12-30-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I can tell you is the TPIS is a really nice quality T/B but I think the throttle spring may be a little weak. I don't have any idea about the FAST T/B but I've read some horror stories about getting it to run right.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Fast TB sucks. Just got rid of mine and went with a TPIS and love it!
Old 12-30-2004, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks
Where can I buy a TPIS at?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't base my decision on one persons results. If you do a few key things to the FAST, you shouldn't have any problems. All you have to do is get a punch a "peen" the throttle shaft bearings, then drill a small indention in the throttle shaft so the set-screw can recess into it. Your idle air bolts will need the tip ground off also cause they are longer than the bolt holes. Nothing hard, it took me about 30 min for all of it. After reading a few more posts, it seems that most people have to do the same with the TPIS, so I'd save the $100 and not have to return a core. FAST all the way. Plus the FAST has the nipple for your breather, the TPIS dosen't, so you have to rig a fitting to your air induction.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Tenured Member

Default Tpis 90mm

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I wouldn't base my decision on one persons results. If you do a few key things to the FAST, you shouldn't have any problems. All you have to do is get a punch a "peen" the throttle shaft bearings, then drill a small indention in the throttle shaft so the set-screw can recess into it. Your idle air bolts will need the tip ground off also cause they are longer than the bolt holes. Nothing hard, it took me about 30 min for all of it. After reading a few more posts, it seems that most people have to do the same with the TPIS, so I'd save the $100 and not have to return a core. FAST all the way. Plus the FAST has the nipple for your breather, the TPIS dosen't, so you have to rig a fitting to your air induction.
We have added the breather to our current run of throttle bodys. You should not have to modify the throttle stop screw. As for the spring we use the factory spring and lever. So pedal feel should be the same as stock.

Myron c
TPIS
Old 12-30-2004, 04:07 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beast, is there a write up with pics (that you know about) describing what you're talking about regarding the fix mods for the FAST TB?
It's hard to understand what's going on without pics.
I don't have my 90mm TB in front of me (it's at the shop), and I'm going to need to decribe the repairs to my installer (would have done it myslef, but the car's rear end is being installed- I had them slap on the intake and TB for me while it's there).

I'm so not looking forward to having the TB act up on me next week.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TPiS
We have added the breather to our current run of throttle bodys. You should not have to modify the throttle stop screw. As for the spring we use the factory spring and lever. So pedal feel should be the same as stock.

Myron c
TPIS
It's not the throttle stop screw we are refering to. It's the set-screw that holds the cable bracket to the shaft. If the set-screw isn't recessed into the shaft or the shaft and bracket aren't keyed, it will slip on the shaft causing incorrect throttle.. Good to hear you guys added the breather. It may not seem like it, but it does make a diffrence in whether or not people buy a product or not. I know it did me.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:16 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Beast, is there a write up with pics (that you know about) describing what you're talking about regarding the fix mods for the FAST TB?
I don't have my 90mm TB in front of me (it's at the shop), and I'm going to need to decribe the repairs to my installer (would have done it myslef, but the car's rear end is being installed- I had them slap on the intake and TB for me while it's there).

Just answered my own question with search.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...fast+90%2A+fix
Old 12-30-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS

The idle air screw should be a no brainer. The stock bolts are just to long. Shorten them down till they fit. The throttle bracket (where your throttle cables hook) has a small set screw on the rear side of it. Back it out and run a small drill bit down to till it hits the shaft. Spin the drill till it makes you a mark, then remove the braket from the shaft. Your throttle spring will come off. Now drill a recess that the set-screw can sit in snuglly. Not real deep, but enough for the screw to go into. While the braket is off, do your bearing "peen" mod. For the bearing "peen" mod, you have to have a small punch. The throttle shaft that goes through the center of the TB has a bearing on each end. You have to go around the edge of the bearing and and "peen" the aluminum onto the bearing so it can't come out. Do this on both ends. Now reinstall the spring on the shaft and start your braket back on. You should be able to figure out how to get the spring back onto the shaft. It requires the work to be done on the end of the shaft so you can spin the braket to get the tension back on the spring. Once you have the tension, just push the braket and spring into place and put your set screw in. Maybe that helps???
Old 12-30-2004, 04:26 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

The idle air screw should be a no brainer. The stock bolts are just to long. Shorten them down till they fit. The throttle bracket (where your throttle cables hook) has a small set screw on the rear side of it. Back it out and run a small drill bit down to till it hits the shaft. Spin the drill till it makes you a mark, then remove the braket from the shaft. Your throttle spring will come off. Now drill a recess that the set-screw can sit in snuglly. Not real deep, but enough for the screw to go into. While the braket is off, do your bearing "peen" mod. For the bearing "peen" mod, you have to have a small punch. The throttle shaft that goes through the center of the TB has a bearing on each end. You have to go around the edge of the bearing and and "peen" the aluminum onto the bearing so it can't come out. Do this on both ends. Now reinstall the spring on the shaft and start your braket back on. You should be able to figure out how to get the spring back onto the shaft. It requires the work to be done on the end of the shaft so you can spin the braket to get the tension back on the spring. Once you have the tension, just push the braket and spring into place and put your set screw in. Maybe that helps???
Old 12-31-2004, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

How about the LS2 90mm TB......

What kind of results from OEM TB?
Old 12-31-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GEAR M UP
How about the LS2 90mm TB......

What kind of results from OEM TB?
I'm sure it would be fine, but it won't work for us F-body guys.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Tenured Member

We have not flowed the LS2 tb. We have supplied our 90mm y-car tb's to some tuners so they could try the LS2 intake on a LS 1/6 .
We also supplied some 90mm f-car tb's to see what the LS2 intake would do. The results were disapointing in both cases, a large loss of torque.

Myron C
Old 01-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Ozz
Launching!

Who besides me thinks that $500+ for a TB that has to be screwed with to make work is just STUPID!!!! No offense to TPIS or FAST but come on guys if we can modify them ourself what is it that prevents you from doing the QA on your product to make it's a true off the shelf install?

You would never see the German's put out that kinda shotty product... Pride in craftsmanship should mean something. And at $500 bucks it not like we have not paid for a quality piece.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Tenured Member

Default qa reply

Originally Posted by Ozz
Who besides me thinks that $500+ for a TB that has to be screwed with to make work is just STUPID!!!! No offense to TPIS or FAST but come on guys if we can modify them ourself what is it that prevents you from doing the QA on your product to make it's a true off the shelf install?

You would never see the German's put out that kinda shotty product... Pride in craftsmanship should mean something. And at $500 bucks it not like we have not paid for a quality piece.
Your right of course, We have no trouble with our drive by wire throttles, And as you can see we are trying to get on top of the cable tb's, I want our products to be perfect. We stand behind our products 100%. Out of overs 500 f-car tb's we are seeing about a dozen that are causing grief.

Myron C.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TPiS
Your right of course, We have no trouble with our drive by wire throttles, And as you can see we are trying to get on top of the cable tb's, I want our products to be perfect. We stand behind our products 100%. Out of overs 500 f-car tb's we are seeing about a dozen that are causing grief.

Myron C.
could you PM me a sharp price on a 90mm TB drive by wire, plus a UPS 5-6 day arrival To. Tauranga City,3001, via Auckland Airport. New Zealand. thanks. This is minus any taxes as we end up paying ours on arrival. Thanks.