Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone NOT had a problem with their FAST 90mm TB?

Old 12-30-2004, 01:31 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Has anyone NOT had a problem with their FAST 90mm TB?

Any smooth installs (without having to peen the bearing and fix the screw)?
Was it strictly an early batch problem?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(and put an extra twist in the return spring.)

You forgot that one. Damn piece of crap TB!
Old 12-30-2004, 01:54 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^
Wow, one more twist also?!
*BUT!*

I don't want this to become a flame thread. I just want a straight answer from users from now on.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah...I'd sure like to hear about at least one install that went smoothly...I'm not feeling overly confident about installing this damn thing!
Old 12-30-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My FAST dosen't look as if it is going to need another twist in the spring. It pulls back pretty hard and feels if it has plenty of pressure. Not sure if FAST started doing the fixes that people came up with here or not, but I did them to mine before installation to make sure I have trouble free operation. It's not hard to do. Took me about 30 min for all of it.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:12 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
My FAST dosen't look as if it is going to need another twist in the spring. It pulls back pretty hard and feels if it has plenty of pressure. Not sure if FAST started doing the fixes that people came up with here or not, but I did them to mine before installation to make sure I have trouble free operation. It's not hard to do. Took me about 30 min for all of it.

Beast, I read your fix write up in another thread that's active right now. I've read many posts describing the fix in similar terms as you have described (only thing is, without the TB in front of me, I'm at a loss as to what 'Peen the Bearing" means- is this to flatten or bend it?)
Did you come across a write up with pics during your investigations? Or did you fix it yourself by self diagnosis?

Much appreciated.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:17 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Beast, I read your fix write up in another thread that's active right now. I've read many posts describing the fix in similar terms as you have described (only thing is, without the TB in front of me, I'm at a loss as to what 'Peen the Bearing" means- is this to flatten or bend it?)
Did you come across a write up with pics during your investigations? Or did you fix it yourself by self diagnosis?

Much appreciated.

Answered myself with search

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...fast+90%2A+fix
Old 12-30-2004, 04:31 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

From another thread:

The idle air screw should be a no brainer. The stock bolts are just to long. Shorten them down till they fit. The throttle bracket (where your throttle cables hook) has a small set screw on the rear side of it. Back it out and run a small drill bit down to till it hits the shaft. Spin the drill till it makes you a mark, then remove the braket from the shaft. Your throttle spring will come off. Now drill a recess that the set-screw can sit in snuglly. Not real deep, but enough for the screw to go into. While the braket is off, do your bearing "peen" mod. For the bearing "peen" mod, you have to have a small punch. The throttle shaft that goes through the center of the TB has a bearing on each end. You have to go around the edge of the bearing and and "peen" the aluminum onto the bearing so it can't come out. Do this on both ends. Now reinstall the spring on the shaft and start your braket back on. You should be able to figure out how to get the spring back onto the shaft. It requires the work to be done on the end of the shaft so you can spin the braket to get the tension back on the spring. Once you have the tension, just push the braket and spring into place and put your set screw in. Maybe that helps???

Thanks!!!

Now let's get the thread back on topic. Anyone with a smooth install/application?
Old 12-30-2004, 04:36 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope I followed the tweeks and mine works lawlessly...
I didnt have to touch the spring,I thought I might be after everything its fine...
Old 12-30-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I thought (and hoped) the "new batch" TBs were corrected and trouble free. (?)

Shawn
Old 12-30-2004, 04:42 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JS
Nope I followed the tweeks and mine works lawlessly...
I didnt have to touch the spring,I thought I might be after everything its fine...
I'm looking for someone who has NOT had to do the tweaks!
But thanks for the response....

Originally Posted by spanky
I thought (and hoped) the "new batch" TBs were corrected and trouble free. (?)

Shawn
I hope too.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

does the fast tbody have a hole in the blade like the stocker does....my TPIS does not and its almost like its creating a suction effect and is sticking opening and closing, but when car is off, it feels perfect and works flawlessly
actually the whole pedal feel is different when the car is on and off, when off it feels just like the stock one did
Old 12-30-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Now let's get the thread back on topic. Anyone with a smooth install/application?
Can we keep it a bit off topic for just a little while longer...when "peening" the housing to retain the bearing...is it just one ding per bearing or several around the circumference of each bearing?

Beast,
Great write-up...do you, by chance, have any pics of your TB after the tweaks?
Old 12-30-2004, 05:00 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The new one has the revised arm but I didnt see the peen marks in the tps area on the one I just got from Fast for a customer.U still will need to do the peen mod if u want it to work correctly.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine was a smoot install Just didn't operate that well after the install

Mine took a dremel to the blade, some touch up work of the bore with a dremel, and an extra wind of the spring but now it works perfect.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Can we keep it a bit off topic for just a little while longer...when "peening" the housing to retain the bearing...is it just one ding per bearing or several around the circumference of each bearing?

Beast,
Great write-up...do you, by chance, have any pics of your TB after the tweaks?
You will need to peen it a few times. I did 6 equaly spaced around the circumfrence. I can take a pic of that, but I've already re-installed the bracket on the shaft so It's isn't coming back off.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

You will need to peen it a few times. I did 6 equaly spaced around the circumfrence. I can take a pic of that, but I've already re-installed the bracket on the shaft so It's isn't coming back off.
Thanks...that's what I needed to know...no problem on the pics...I can definitely understand!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:55 PM
MASS seller approved

I installed mine without touching anything. Just had to clearance the throttle cable bracket because it was hitting my waterpump with the LS2 intake. It's been working flawlessly so far.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

How do you like the LS2 intake Tim? Any dyno results from it?
Old 12-31-2004, 01:58 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by black_z
How do you like the LS2 intake Tim? Any dyno results from it?
So far it seems to be doing great. Everything was just a bolt in installation except for the throttle cable bracket we fabbed up.

I'm trying to get it setup so I can get some back to back dynos between the LS2 and Fast 90mm vs my LS6 and ported TB and possibly a modified LS6 with 90mm TB

Search this Thread